SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 12 July 2023

ORCAS THIS EVENING AT QUENDALE BAY!!!

ORCAS 
Incredible views in the rain at Quendale Bay!



Just before I left for work, news came through that Orcas were reported off East Quarff! When I looked at my phone at lunchtime, the Orcas had been travelling south east all morning and it was obvious that many people would have been lucky with good views. I never expected in a million years that they would still be around when I finished work this evening! But, the last message when I got home was going south from Grutness, so I didn't leave the house for a good while, as presumed (wrongly) that they would continue south and out of sight. When I realised they were coming round Sumburgh Head and heading north west, I left asap!

Bonxie and Orca!

Calf with Orcas!

ORCAS
Quendale Bay, heading north west around the headland at Garth Ness

 

On route south, there was news that the Orcas were heading for Quendale Bay – I was almost there! Farm gates closed across road at the farm, a local lady behind me in a car also heading to the bay. Between us we opened the gates and then closed both as they were and continued along the road. As I came round the corner of the bay, a massive fin was clearly visible below the road and I could see what it was without getting the binoculars out of the car!!! Parked up round the corner and joined Hugh & Michelle Harrop and others and had insane views of several Orcas!!! Far, far better views than my first ever sightings on the 23rd June – WOW! If I had been 10 minutes later, I would have missed them. They headed north around the headland and were not seen anymore as far as I know.

Later I headed to Rerwick and St Ninian's Bay and spent a good while waiting and scanning the sea, but no further sightings. Raining and almost chilly this evening. Cruised home, smiling! The best out of 75 pictures taken!

2 comments: