SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 17 April 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Arctic Redpoll at Baltasound, Unst. Green-winged Teal on Isle of Foula. Snow Buntings x 3, Blue Fulmar on Fair Isle. Quail in garden at Weisdale. Little Gull off Mair's Quay, Lerwick.
 

Spent this evening sorting and filling my bird feeders up, including putting up my second (arrived today) Roamwild bird feeder, but this time without the cage, so I can see if the Starlings can use this or not, I expect they are not heavier enough to close the entry point for the seed. Cleaned the bird baths out and all looking fabulous again. I couldn't resist buying a smiling gnome swinging on a rope swing, which I purchased off Amazon, he looks so good in the tree! 😆 This will add some fun to the front garden for any children walking past... maybe! He will get plenty of swinging in the winds here! No, I haven't lost the plot, if you're asking, not quite anyway.

Had a lovely chat with Gwen this evening (who lives two doors away) as she passed my front garden and she told me that one of my trees in the front garden is a Rowan tree, which I'm hugely excited about – Gwen said that it had had a big chop at some point, but its all looking good again now, it won't get chopped again whilst I'm here – she also said that its mean't to be lucky to have a Rowan tree in your garden. There is an elder next to it and rhubarb growing below. Both these trees will be brilliant for their berries later on for any migrant birds. I'm not sure what the biggest tree is in my front garden and I have another large tree next to the shed and drive. Can't wait to get my new car in the driveway on Friday, so exciting!

 
 Tree in driveway
 
Second tree in front garden

3 comments:

  1. Put a picture up of your unidentified trees, we can all have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, PM me photos of your other two trees via Facecruncher Messenger...
    I need bark and shoots and leaves if they are out, please.
    Tim/Gytha Citroën

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, shoots of the first say an Acer of some sort... but the bark isn't being helpful.... will need to see the leaves.
    How close is it to the brown building at the extreme right... maples can seriously undermine buildings....
    You might need to take local advice on that... but they pollard very well and can look exceptional [depending on the leaves] and that would take pressure off the roots and slow their growth.
    Also, if they are going under the building, they can be cut at that point and further back and a sheet of corrugated iron supported by a wall installed [corrugations sideways to encourage sideways root growth before the sheet becomes part of the soil]
    I never advocate the removal of trees, there is almost always an alternative that leaves the tree in place!!
    Second is a Cherry of some sort... of which there are hundreds... but if a "wild" type it should burst into flower any second amongst the fresh, young leaves...
    I see no remnant flowers or fruitlets which would indicate either a "fruiter" or "Japanese" type.... but they hybridise like crazy and some of those are named. It will be a very valuable tree to you as all cherries play host to numerous insects and their larvae.
    Now, can we have pictures of the "Leaf-beetle Green" Skoda

    ReplyDelete