SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 28 April 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Iceland Gull on beach at Quendale. Pied Flycatcher, Hawfinch at Scousburgh. Wryneck on beach at Grutness. Pied Flycatcher at Lerwick. Ring Ouzel at Halligarth, Ring Ouzels x 2, Snow Buntings x 3 at Skaw, Unst. Black Redstart on Out Skerries. Pied Flycatcher, Long-eared Owls x 2, Ring Ouzels x 6, Mealy Redpolls x 2, Snow Buntings x 2 on Fair Isle.
 
 
The day started in glorious sunshine and almost too warm to have a coat on, but by early afternoon it switched to strong winds, heavy rain, dull skies and very cold – a very contrasting day.
 
Packed the car up to go birding for the day, but had a quick walk along to the end of my road to see if I could find any migrants. Met a lovely lady called Vera who lives in a large house at the far end – she asked if I was on holiday here. After explaining where I lived, she said "you're the person with all the bird feeders!" – we chatted for ages. No birds of note along the road, but there were some cute bunnies and lambs and lots of daffodils and bees in the warm Spring sunshine.
 
Drove south for the first time in months (apart from the time when Jill and Rob very kindly took me out not so long ago). In the cliff top garden at Hoswick, I had 2 Chiffchaffs, 1 Blackbird, 1 Robin and a Wren. Eiders and Great Northern Diver on the sea. Looked in the Orca Inn car park, but only found House Sparrows and a Blackbird. Lots of primroses, daffodils and other flowers on show throughout my drive south, such a fabulous display.

At the Geosetter Burn at Bigton (where Kevin K. had had 2 Redstarts and 2 Blackcaps earlier) I failed to see these, but did see 2 Chiffchaffs, so lovely to be back here. I won't forget the unbelieveable views of the Blackburnian Warbler I had here last Autumn. 

News of a Wryneck at Grutness came up on the WhatsApp group, so I headed to Grutness, which is where I was heading anywhere. No more detail than that, so kind of guessed it might be in the garden near the 'pool'? I found out later it had been seen on the beach briefly and no one else saw it apart from the finder. On the pool at Grutness there were 2 Shelduck and 1 Ringed Plover. Three gorgeously pretty ginger cats were in the very pretty 'garden' amongst daffodils and tulips – new bird feeders up in here, no birds!
 
On route up to Sumburgh Head I saw 1 Wheatear. Parked up in the main bottom car park. Within minutes of getting out of the car in freezing conditions, a man shouted out "Orcas"!!! I was very lucky indeed, I just caught sight of 4 Orcas as they headed south and then out of view below the new sea-watching hide. No time for any pictures and too distant anyway, but wow! My first Orcas this year.
 
Stopped at Sumburgh House Hotel to look in the garden, no birds seen here. A raft of Long-tailed Ducks, Eiders and a Great Northern Diver off West Voe Beach.

Spiggie area, in hope of seeing reported Pied Flycatchers, failed with that. Weather deteriating further and now lashing down with rain. Diverted off down to Levenwick and had a super quick walk on the beach and in fields nearby, saw lots of newly born lambs with wobbly legs, trying to shelter against their mother's from the dire weather. No birds of note here.

Headed home and in the garden I counted 19 Siskins, Bramblings x 2 and 1 Chaffinch. Earlier this morning I also had 1 Robin, Blackbird, House Sparrows, Starlings, Rock Doves and Collared Doves. So lovely to get out for the day and great to bump into some local birders, including Ann, Hugh H., Paul H., Kevin K. and Jim N. The weather looks much the same for most of tomorrow when I'm at work. Tuesday looks much nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment