SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER ELEVEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 8 September 2024

Out Skerries – My First Visit!


Jill and Rob very kindly invited me to join them on their visit to Out Skerries today – somewhere they visit fairly regularly, but this was my first trip out here. I met up with them at the Vidlin Ferry Terminal, left my car there and went in Jill and Rob's car on the ferry, which left at 10am and took just over an hour to reach Out Skerries. Very luckily for me, it was a very calm sea today, I wouldn't have been able to go if it had been rough! On route out in the fog was a huge raft of Eider, Shags and Black Guillemots on the sea. Not very nice weather though, very foggy for a good third of the day and raining on and off. Local birders Anne, Chris, Paul H. and Matt W. were also on the ferry.

I love an adventure and it was a fascinating place to visit. Although it was very sad to see a large school with playground and equipment all closed up, being as there are only two children on the Skerries now and both are home schooled I was told. Less than 40 people live here now and there are several derilict and empty houses here. There are two shops, one guest house and a small visitor centre with public toilets by Bruray Pier.

We drove to the furthest end of the island to start birding. It was exciting to be somewhere that felt so remote and unique. I loved looking at everyone's gardens – I always find it very interesting to see what people are growing. Of note there were several different types of fir trees, Rosa Rugosa, honeysuckle, lilies, Buddleia (Black Knight), Willows and irises amongst others.

The little yellow house on the horizon was where Bill Oddie used to stay many years ago!
 
The Plantation

Main birds seen today were a Garden Warbler on a wall, a Spotted Flycatcher and Redstart fem. sitting on the same washing line. At least 2 Whinchats sitting on dry stone walls (Jill had 4 and also a male Redstart), 2 Swallows graced us with their prescence throughout the day, Lesser Whitethroats x 2 seen in the same garden, including an idyllic scene of a very large fat red hen, a huge rabbit and a LW feeding on a lawn with a Blackbird. We saw a few Chiffchaffs, but mostly Willows Warblers. There was a Red-backed Shrike around, but we simply couldn't find it at this point. The other birders also saw a Pied Flycatcher we noted on the WhatApp group later on and also several Blackcaps, which we didn't see any of.

Other birds seen were: Blackbird, Raven, Pied Wagtail, Rock and Meadow Pipits, House Sparrows, Starlings, Turnstone, Curlew, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Black-backed Gull, Fulmar, Arctic Tern and Snipe. We also saw two very large and flamboyant Cockerels and lots of Hens! There are several sheep here and one was friendly enough to let me stroke it.

At around 4pm we went to the self service visitor centre, which is set in a small wooden building, it was extremely cosy inside with radiators, two large tables and chairs to sit at with self service hot drinks and sink to wash up etc and crafts for sale with a honesty pot. Jill and I walked to check out the gardens and The Plantation (newly planted and will look amazing in a few years time) – we bumped into Chris and Anne who told us they had just seen the Red-backed Shrike about half an hour ago by the pumping station, so we walked off down the hill in that direction. We stood and scanned the area and distantly I spotted a possible bird on a large boulder – as it turned, I realised it was the Red-backed Shrike! "Well spotted" Jill said. Lucky find at the end of the day for us! Jill walked a bit closer to get a better picture and this involved walking on dodgy and very unlevel ground when we about to catch the ferry and I was at work in the morning, so I decided to stay put and got very distant record shots only. After Jill's much closer BOC shots, I realised I should have joined her! Pleased with our last good bird of the day, we speed walked back to the pier. Other birders had started to join us on the pier ready for the ferry depature at 5.30pm.

The journey back wasn't quite as smooth, but I still survived without feeling sick, so all good. Luckily for Jill and Rob, they don't get sea sick at all. It was much colder now, so I stayed in the car for most of the journey back to Vidlin. Arrived at about 6.30pm. After a coffee in my car I drove home to Scalloway. A lovely day out with Jill and Rob, who are lovely company and always make me laugh. Made a fabulous change from decorating!

More pictures to be added.......

No comments:

Post a Comment