SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 21 March 2019

Busy Booking, Busy Bee! No Eagle for Me!

Wednesday 20th March
I had to stick to my plans today, I have so many things to do, but this resulted in the frustration of missing out on a White-tailed Eagle cruising around Norfolk today! The eagle was last seen near Wighton late evening, so hopefully it will be seen again tomorrow when I'm out!

Had to get new car insurance as my current one runs out at the end of the month and I won't be staying with who I am currently with – took ages to sort, but got there in the end and gone with the AA this time. Also had to try and find suitable insurance for my Fair Isle trip, not managed to sort that one yet, but in the process of. I was booked to stay at the observatory this October, as I'm sure many of you know and I thought all was lost, until I was lucky enough to get booked into the South Lighthouse for the same dates – very, very lucky indeed. In fact, weirdly this is where I stayed on my last trip in Spring 2010, as the 'new observatory' was not quite completed in time and I was given a choice of cancelling or staying in the South Lighthouse. Sadly, I never did get to stay in the new observatory.

So, I will be only one of a handful of birders on Fair Isle for the end of October, which mean I may be lucky enough to see a serious mega or maybe nothing at all – gamble! As LGRE teased earlier in the year, there will probably be a Siberian Rubythroat in Norfolk whilst I'm out of county, would be just my luck! I had already booked the Northlink Ferry before the terrible fire occurred and today I booked Airtask flights from Lerwick to Fair Isle – I was told in December that you pay for the flights on the day you depart, but its all changed now and you have to pay the whole £90.66 return at the time of booking. Only a few boxes ticked of many, but I will get there in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment