SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 19 December 2018

MEGA EXCITED! FAIR ISLE BOOKED!!!

North Haven, Fair Isle 2010

I have not been to Fair Isle since I started this blog in 2010. I visited in May and have only ever been in May/June when the weather and birds are equally as good. I seem to remember my first two visits were in 2005 and 2006. This will be my fourth trip to Fair Isle and the first time I have visited in October, which is the most serious month for megas on Fair Isle, but the weather will more than likely be atrocious, but so excited! The rooms are cheaper after 14th October too – bonus! Two weeks of serious birding in the most amazing place for megas in the UK. Hoping for my first Siberian Rubythroat at least!!!

With the death of both my parents within the last two years, it has been the most horrific time in my life and I am still very much in turmoil over my mother's death in August. I had my first bereavement appointment with Tapping House (Norfolk Hospice) yesterday and it was very difficult indeed – I was in floods of tears again. My mother was such a huge character and there is a massive void now she's gone – part of me feels like I've died with her – she was my best friend, someone I phoned several times a day to talk to about everything. There is no one else I talked to like that, no one.

My birding and photography has taken a massive back seat and there are still loads of big jobs to do. We still have our parent's house to sell, then I will be selling my house in King's Lynn and moving somewhere nicer – someone within half an hour of work or I might even escape further afield – who knows what 2019 will bring! The new year will be a new chapter in my life. The first and most important job in January is to restart a serious weight loss campaign, to return to what I once was and becoming a healthier and fitter me!

I needed to have something amazing to look forward to and I have been meaning to return to Fair Isle for a long time now. Fair Isle is the most beautiful island and when I think about this beautiful place, the following thoughts cascade through my mind.......peace, tranquility, big seas, crystal turquoise waters, white sands, dramatic cliffs, puffins, eiders, bonxies, dramatic skies, exhilarating, wonderful islanders, breathtaking and life changing.

Its a long journey to Fair Isle, but a journey I love – train from King's Lynn very early morning to Aberdeen, then the Northlink Ferry overnight (14 hours) to Lerwick, Shetland arriving 7am the following morning. Normally, I then walk to the bus station and take the bus (hour's journey) to Sumburgh Head and catch the 'The Good Shepherd' boat, arriving Fair Isle mid afternoon, but in October the Good Shepherd only runs on a Tuesday and because of the usual dire weather at this time of the year, is far better to book the small plane, which I don't like at all (been on it once when the boat couldn't go) but there isn't much choice, so I will have to go on it! The plane is also far most expensive than the Good Shepherd.

October seems a long time to wait, but I am so looking forward to it. Hopefully I will be moved and settled before this trip, fingers crossed! I still might be going to Israel in March if there is enough people booked on this amazing Oriole Birding trip!

1 comment: