SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 18 June 2023

House Viewings, Decisions & Exploring!

Its been a very busy weekend indeed. Viewed a property that I completely fell in love with. Not going to discuss any more yet, about where it is etc etc! Most of today was also taken up with thinking and planning re this potential property.

Today I discovered that Lerwick has some fabulous flower gardens on Olaf Road, "The Jubilee Flower Park" – this was absolutely beautiful to walk round, a stunning array of flowers and shrubs! A large Laburnum tree stood at the entrance, which reminded me of my childhood, as we had one of these in the garden at Holme. There were mature pine trees and a long row of sycamores – an amazing collection with park benches to sit on, no rubbish seen anywhere either! Some people were playing bowls, which is part of the park. I never expected to see such a variety of plants, flowers and trees in one area in Shetland – truly amazing! I wonder how often this little oasis is checked for migrants in Spring and Summer?!

This evening I went to Maywick Beach and watched a gorgeous female Eider with fluffy youngsters on the far end of the beach! Lots of Fulmars nesting on the cliffs, adorned with pink thrift, bird's-foot trefoil and sea campion. The cliffs are an array of colourful flowers just now! Black Guillemots and Arctic Terns seen here also, along with Oystercatchers and Ringed Plovers on the beach. Tons of Starlings plus juveniles in the trees around the farm buildings and Wheatears along Maywick Road. It was late and I had the beach to myself.

Decided to go to St Ninian's Isle. I turned around as soon as I arrived. Several campers vans, which is to be expected at this time of year and people are arriving for "da simmer dim", but I couldn't believe what I could see on the beach, at least eight plus small tracters/beach buggies with all different ages (including lasses) racing around like crazy and seriously churning up the tombolo – it looked awful! I felt really quite shocked seeing this and it surely must be local people, which makes it even more upsetting to see – what about the disturbance of breeding birds there at this time of the year and I hope to goodness no bird's eggs were ploughed into!!! I left feeling very sad at what I had witnessed – I never expected to see that kind of behaviour here.

Pulled in above the cliffs at Rerwick and had stunning views of the beach and turquoise sea below, adorned with seals and pups. Fulmars soaring by and colourful yachts were moored up in the bay. Cruised home and it still wasn't dark when I arrived back!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment