SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 2 June 2023

Spectacular Sunny Day!

Levenwick

 

I had a truly spectacular morning meeting up with Niki at her home, Voortrekker in Levenwick. Niki and her husband Piet own Voortrekker Shetland Self-Catering Apartments, where I stayed in October 2019. I can't recommend these apartments enough, they are stunning, extremely well equipped and the views across to the cliffs and sea are on another level.

I have kept in touch with Niki since my stay with them and she kindly messaged me a few days ago to ask if I would like to meet up for a catch up and walk, so we did! It was so lovely to see her and it was a truly stunning and warm day for our walk out to the cliffs at Levenwick with her two tiny, tiny little "Chorkies" called Sandy and Nina. Now, as you all know, I'm not a huge dog lover, but Niki's little dogs are seriously sweet, with amusing personalities and very well trained, they didn't bark once on the entire walk! I even helped to carry one of them over a stile on route.

The amount of birdlife you find when you walk out to the cliffs is amazing, Wheatears, Dunlins, Curlews, lots of Arctic Terns, Bonxies, Greylag Geese, Red-throated Divers, Ringed Plovers, Fulmars and the usual seabirds on the cliffs. It was a little bit boggy in places, but we survived in our walking boots without getting wet feet! It was very interesting to discover that Niki also swears by the same "Grisport" boots (different style though) that I have been wearing for years now. We sat for a rest on the cliff edge in the sunshine, amongst the thrift and other beautiful flowers, whilst her dogs had a snooze and continued our catch-up about my move to Shetland etc – Niki is a fascinating person to chat with and a very intelligent lady. We made our way back to Voortrekker and I met the goats from my last visit, plus a new ram called "Mickey". You couldn't live in a more beautiful spot than here, the views are magnificent and even more so on a blue sky day! Niki did invite me back in the house for a coffee, but I kindly declined, as it was past lunchtime and once sat down we would have probably talked for hours!

Left Voortrekker and headed to Levenwick beach. OMG, it was truly stunning here today. Two Eiders cruised past me in the turquoise waters, Arctic Terns diving only yards away, Oystercatchers and Ringed Plovers on the beach and only one couple with their two small children. What a scene! There are no beaches in Norfolk that even compare to this one beach alone and the sea in Norfolk certainly isn't anywhere near as clear and beautiful as it is here! I should have moved here years ago. I feel like I am home. Do I miss Norfolk? Not at all. Of course there are people I miss, especially my sisters, but I know I will see them again. This is my time, my new start, after many years of sadness, bereavement, loss and stress. I stood for ages on this beach, just taking in every moment and gazing across the ripples of clear turquoise waters. Eventually, I tore myself away.

Went to the Geosetter Burn near Bigton and walked right to the top of the burn, which must have burnt off at least one cake! Stunning here, but no migrants seen at all – Hooded Crows and one Wheatear seen though. Views across to St Ninian's Isle from here. Wheatears along the road where I had parked my car, just as I was leaving. Headed to St Ninian's Isle, but too many motorhomes and people picnicking, so turned round and headed further south. Went to Sumburgh to see if the Subalpine Warbler was still showing, it wasn't. Finished the day at Grutness Pier and spent a good while here, watching the Arctic Terns fishing in the pool, Common Gulls, Ringed Plovers, one Linnet, Wheatears, Starlings, Lapwings, Mallards plus one duckling and 2 Mute Swans. Caravan parked by the wall with family, which I hadn't expected here. Beautiful drive back to Lerwick.

I won £175 on the Premium Bonds this morning! There is also some potentially, incredibly exciting news about a house that may come up for sale, but I'm not going to talk about it yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really pleased you seem to have settled in, take care and enjoy

    ReplyDelete