SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 22 June 2023

Offer on My First Shetland Property was "Unsuccessful"

https://www.estateagencyshetland.co.uk/properties/maranatha

I'm completely gutted. This house was a dream. The garden I loved even more! The property and especially the garden, is far better than the pictures in the link portray. So many plants and shrubs in that garden and extremely sheltered and secluded. A Montana clematis was in in full bloom, which was a large feature in our family garden at Holme. I imagined seeing so many good birds there – a local person told me that they had watched an Arctic Warbler in that garden! Views of Sumburgh Head, lighthouse and Fair Isle were also a stunning bonus and the Virkie Pool was 3 minutes walk away! When the owner showed me around on Saturday, I became quite emotional about the entire property and totally fell in love with it. I felt that I had struck up a good rapport with the owner and told him I worked for the hospital and it would be my forever home etc etc.

It was a very sad story, the property was empty and ready to move into, as the lady who owned it passed away and her brother was now having to sell the property – she only purchased it two years ago and like me, completely fell in love with the place and offered a good amount above the asking price, her brother told me. I did lots of detective work on-line that evening and found out that the property was advertised at offers above £185,000 and sold for £203,000 in 2021.

After viewing the property on Saturday, I had a second viewing on Monday, along with a builder to ask advice about a few things. All good and feeling totally happy with my decision, I offered far more than I should have done, far more and this would have left only a small amount in the bank for any emergencies and sensibly not enough, but I really wanted this gorgeous property and I knew that the competition would be fierce. I visualised myself living there and had planned every room and what was going where. Its been a mad scrap finding a solicitor, getting all the paperwork and offer done and I'm exhausted.

I supposed I knew in my heart, that even my maximum cash offer wouldn't be high enough, I had been informed that it was a very popular property, it only came onto the market just over a week ago and the closing date for closed bids, suddenly appeared on the the estate agents website for Thursday 22nd June at 12pm! My bid was submitted just in time, this morning. The property was advertised at offers over £192,000. I guessed that someone with a bottomless bank account, would have thrown in an offer of £240,00 plus.

Its been a tense day at work, I just knew what the email would say I suppose and very sadly I was correct, I had been "unsuccessful". I managed to get out of the estate agents that there were four offers and I had only come third in line, so goodness knows what the top offer was!!! You can never find this out initially, but eventually it does appear on line somewhere, many months later. I couldn't have done any more, I had given it my all.

The only negatives about this property were having to get the external painting done every few years with very expensive Scandinavian paint and the 23 mile trek to work each day. One of the many positives was this property in the far south of Shetland, was at the heart of where most of the rarities are found! I recall seeing a Red-breasted Flycatcher, just two houses along from this one in 2019.

The only positives I can think of now at 10.30pm are that hopefully a better property awaits me and my bank account is still ok!!!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear this Penny, absolutely gutting for you, but having said that I think the outcome was probably right. (When my daughter bought a property a couple of years ago she was told that the average 'offers over' was 30% above the asking price and she offered £240,00 on a £180,000 because she was so desperate to get on the ladder - She won, but had she not got her current live-in boyfriend to help with the mortgage she'd have been in trouble now). Your property is way too far from Lerwick for daily travel and you'd be spending a fortune on petrol and car maintenance, and what with mortgage rates on the rise as well I think you'd have got into trouble pretty quickly. So think of it as a bitter blessing and know that there will be something, maybe not better, but more suitable at the moment for you . I'm a great believer in 'fate' and all that! Even if you have to go for something lesser in the meantime, you've got the rest of your life to find the forever home eventually. Best of luck next time xx PS on another note, I tried to tempt Steve with Wick House, Gulberwick, that's my dream house. He was impressed...but not enough unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete