SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 25 June 2023

South, North & West Road Trip!

Headed south for the Orcas seen heading north west from Sumburgh Head, which I was too late for. I tried to catch up with them at St Ninian's Bay and failed. I was stood scanning the sea at Rerwick, when Hugh Harrop stopped in his car to say he was going to see if the Nightjar was still at Geosetter Burn (which Roger Riddington had found late last night), so I joined him to try and relocate it. Hugh had managed to see it last night too. No luck with the Nightjar, but we could both hear what sounded like a low sub song of Marsh Warbler near the Geosetter bridge for a very short time and then it went silent.

I then decided to look for the pink house at Scousburgh, where someone had seen a male Rosefinch last night. I stood and watched the garden and area for a little while, no sign and only House Sparrows. I headed north as I wanted to have a look at two houses for sale and I also hoped that I may be very lucky and catch the Orcas, if they had continued their journey north. One house was very unique, but too much on its own, too far north for work and needed work doing and the other was stunning on the outside, with mature trees and fabulous garden, but dark inside and too much work needed doing with that too.

Headed west to Sandwick to find another house, which I simply couldn't find! Gave up and went to Melby beach and walked around the cliff area – Ringed Plovers, Oystercatchers, Black Guillemots, Arctic Terns seen. I have been here before I realised, a lovely spot. I then ended up at Norby Beach, where I watched an Otter catching crabs in the sea at fairly close range. Long scenic drive home.

More tomorrow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment