SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 6 April 2013

Sunshine and Blue Skies!

River Babingley, near King's Lynn.

What a treat – a whole day of wonderful sunshine and blue skies!

Joined my little sister Vivien in town for breakfast, whilst she waited for her hair appointment.

Went to Babingley Bridge at Castle Rising and saw two Treecreepers, heard a Nuthatch, watched three Snipe in a large puddle in the middle of the field and also saw two very bright Yellowhammers in the hedgerow adjacent to the bridge.

Looked for Golden Pheasant, but no luck. I was going to stay in north west Norfolk, UNTIL the White-tailed Eagle appeared on the pager at Kelling Heath! It was just too tempting – I had visions of watching this bird soaring in brilliant blue skies and being captured on my camera, so the car headed along the A148! On route the White-tailed Eagle continued east and was seen at Northrepps and by the time I reached Cley it was seen over Winterton – bother! The White-tailed Eagle continued south and was last seen at Boyton Marshes RSPB.

Went to Cley Visitor Centre for my lunch and as I sat eating my very expensive jacket potato (prices gone up!) a big furry snowy owl was amusingly plonked down in front of me which made me smile! I heard that I had April fooled more people than I thought – I almost feel guilty, but it was April 1st!!! I could see lots of avocets on the pools from the V.C and marsh harriers scattering just about everything. Large flock of lapwing, not able to count though.

Went to Walsey Hills NOA and saw very little, a few robins, heard a bullfinch, chaffinches, wren, goldfinches. No signs of any butterflies, but did see a bumblebee. The whitethorn is in bud and not far off from opening. No signs of any adders, sadly.

At Kelling Heath I saw a barn owl and heard a stonechat. Tons of dog cr*p. If anyone wants to buy cake when in this area, go to the tea rooms at Kelling e.g. Ginger Cake to take out £1.20 which is loads cheaper than anywhere else.

Gramborough Hill, Salthouse – female reed bunting and from the top of the hill and a razorbill was sitting on the sea. A lone meadow pipit sat on a post. I heard that Andy J. had seen 11 Common Buzzards circling over 'The Hangs' at Cley!

Cley Coastguards – bird of the day was a summer plumage Red-throated Diver sitting on the sea fairly close in. Three seals were bobbing about, also close in. Three Roe Deer and a Muntjac Deer in a field by Barn's Drift. Couple of marsh Harriers and a beautiful sunset to complete the day.

Flying too low over Cley Marshes NWT!!
Sunset at Cley Coastguards.

No comments:

Post a Comment