SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 31 August 2013

A Chilled Day!

Westerly winds today, which was absolutely rubbish for birds! It was almost birdless compared to the massive fall of birds last weekend! Well I say birdless, I was incredibly lazy today, got up late and dossed around the house. I was feeling in a can't be bothered, negative mood! Missed breakfast completely and went straight into cooking my lunch. Made a sandwich and a flask and went out birding in the middle of the afternoon. Disgraceful Penelope! I whizzed straight to Holme to scorch the Wryneck on the NWT Forestry. It took a while to find, but I found it in the end at 5.45pm. Only saw it briefly and got a record shot on the camera. I sat on the grassy path for nearly an hour waiting for it to return, hoping to get just one magic picture, but it didn't appear again. Saw one Wheatear on top of a privet bush and that was about it. Very windy and decidedly cold today.

Went to NOA Redwell Marsh Reserve and watched 5 Snipe feeding on the muddy edge. The pool from the hide is fairly low with lots of wet, muddy edges and looks very good for a Citrine Wagtail! A Green Sandpiper called and landed on the back edge of the pool. Not much else apart from a few teal, moorhens, coots and wood pigeons and a single black-headed gull.

Last stop of the day was Holme Marsh Reserve where all I saw were 2 Marsh Harriers and 2 Roe Deer in the dusky light. Visited my parents for the last part of the evening and gave mother the Swarovski brooch I got from the Bird Fair. Talking of Bird Fair, I really need to get those pictures and videos sorted and added to my posts! Tawny Owls were calling in parent's garden.

I really regret not booking tickets to go to the Sundown Festival, Norwich this weekend – some of my favourite bands are playing. For some reason unbeknown to me I didn't book the tickets. I know what I'm like, I would have been at the front and I questioned if I would have been able to cope with a load of teenagers under half my age, jumping up and down like crazy!!! I must remember, I'm not 18 any more! Don't get me wrong, I would have been jumping too, but I decided I couldn't handle it! Being jostled in a crowd doesn't freak me out, so I wouldn't have been bothered by that – when you have been jammed in at the front of Wembly Stadium watching Michael Jackson, all other concerts are pretty tame! My youngest sister Vivien went to the Party on the Hill in Ely this evening and seemed to have enjoyed watching 'Blue' and 'Matt Cardle' who she declared she was now in love with!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment