SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Rose-coloured Starling at Weybourne & The East Bank, Cley NWT!

 Sunset from the East Bank, Cley NWT

DIPPED!
It was a beautiful sunny day whilst at work, so I decided it would be great to watch the Rose-coloured Starling at Weybourne in the evening sunshine. I can't remember what time I got there exactly, but when I arrived there were no birders and I wasn't quite sure where I should be looking, so phoned both Pete S. and then Julian B for exact location. Julian had me in absolute stitches over a story, but don't think I dare write it on here – if he gives me permission I will. Anyway, so I found the section of feeder I could see over the fence, but no sign of the Rose-coloured Starling. A very helpful young girl called Louise pointed out to where she had seen it earlier. She waited with me and assured me I would see it. I pointed out a Great Spotted Woodpecker to her and a Goldfinch which she was very excited about (she was borrowing her 'dad's' binoculars). A bit later on Louise's father came out and said they have Rose-coloured Starlings here every year, include one that was there in the winter!
The home-made feeder where the Rose-coloured Starling was!

Suddenly my pager bleeps up with 'PALLAS'S GRASSHOPPER WARBLER 'Probable'
Reported Cley NWT flew from area with no general access east of Arnold's Marsh briefly.

I continue to wait for the Rose-coloured Starling, but it had obviously gone to roost, bother, bother bother!!! I don't often dip birds, but suppose it has to happen sometimes. I then found the car heading towards the East Bank at Cley, just to be near the presence of the MEGA 'probable' Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler – yep madness, complete and utter madness! I strolled along the East Bank is the now semi-dusk. The new scrapes/pools just west of the path, look absolutely cracking! I really fancied a walk, so carried on to the beach, listened to the sea, photographed the sunset and then returned to my car in the dark – heard a heron, but nothing else at this time of the night!
The NEW Scrapes, just west of the East Bank, Cley NWT!

 
Sunset from the East Bank at 8.20pm, Cley NWT.

No comments:

Post a Comment