SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 12 March 2016

Local Birding and Titchwell RSPB!

It was a very misty and dull start to the day, but the sun broke out later on. I was determined to make time to go birding today – I don't feel I have been out properly for ages.

I looked for the Golden Pheasant at Wolferton Triangle, but no sign of. Three Common Buzzards were circling above the Dersingham bypass roundabout. Stopped at South Beach Road, Heacham to look for the reported Black Redstart – thoroughly searched all the chalets, but found nothing. I retraced my steps and then walked along the river path – watched House Sparrows chattering away in a large bush and Mallards dappling in the sunshine.

Stopped in Hunstanton to look at a residential care home and then did some shopping for Mother in Sainsbury's – bumped into Chris Mills and had a quick catch-up, whilst watching a Pied Wagtail on the supermarket roof. I found another three Common Buzzards circling in the thermals over Old Hunstanton shop along the main road. I dropped the shopping into my parents and then headed to Titchwell RSPB.

Snowdrops and primroses out at Titchwell and trees were in bud – Spring is on the way! Fed a Robin in the car park with some of my granola slice, which enticed two more Robins to battle for more! An obese Woodpigeon waddled in to join the feast – like it needed it! Come to think of it, neither did I!

Saw a nice Brambling at the feeders along with Long-tailed Tits, Great Tits, Long-tailed Tits, Robins, Goldfinches and Chaffinches. The Fen Trail was closed due to the boardwalk being replaced – open again on 31st March. Walked to the beach and back. Other birds seen: 3 Marsh Harriers, 1 Ringtail Hen Harrier (5.30pm), 1 Barn Owl west of the main path, Little Egret, Cetti's Warblers x 2 singing near Island Hide, 3 Reed Buntings, Wren, Water Rail in the usual ditch, Curlews, Black-tailed Godwits, Shelducks, Avocets 30+, Golden Plovers x 4, Redshanks, Black-headed Gulls, Lapwings, Teal, 1 Pochard, Starlings, Brent Geese, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese.

Visited my parents and as I walked in the door, my little sister Vivien had just made Father some cheese on toast – he looked very pleased. I did have to point out to Vivien that she would have to cut the toast into small pieces for him to eat though. I made Father a coffee and Vivien and I chatted, whilst Mother pottered in the garden until dark.

Its been another very difficult week, with Mother up two night's running and no sleep and at breaking point. But the last couple of nights have been more tolerable and last night Father slept right through without Mother having to get up at all – I hope this pattern continues – I will remain hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment