SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 5 May 2019

Sheringham Park, Cemetery, Weybourne Camp, Muckleburgh Hill & Gramborough Hill!

Sheringham Park


Started where I finished last night at Sheringham Park. I absolutely love Wood Warblers and I wanted to see it again and attempt to get a better photograph, but sadly no sight nor sound of this magical little bird this morning. Nuthatches seen again, Blackcaps singing, Robins, Blackbirds, Song Thrush. Lots of people and dogs being walked at the park – too busy for me!
Sheringham Park


Looked for birds in Sheringham cemetery and found a couple of Greenfinches, Goldfinch, Robin, Wren, several Blackbirds, Wood Pigeons and Jackdaws. Then the pager bleeped up with 'GREAT SPOTTED CUCKOO at Weybourne Camp'!!! Off I went for ANOTHER attempt at this incredibly elusive bird!

Parked up in the beach car park at Weybourne and walked west to view the pines at the camp, where the GSC had been seen this morning at 11.30am. I am too exhausted to go through the entire afternoon in detail, but long story short, I saw it for a nano second at around 3.30pm, but couldn't really count it, as it was a silhouette and I did not see any distinguishing features on it at all – this is because I attempted to photograph it in flight and didn't get the camera on it (usually pretty quick with birds in flight), which also resulted in me not seeing it with bins either, when it quickly disappeared behind the pines! Later, news came out that the GSC had flown a long way east into the village, where the gardens/houses are along the road to the car park. Walked back to the car park and walked the length  of the road and back, looking at every bush and tree in all the gardens!

The pager then reported that the GSC was back on the south side of Weybourne Camp! Re-parked the car and walked up Muckleburgh Hill to join others and got my first proper views of the fantastic Great Spotted Cuckoo! It was in a low bramble bush behind a pill box, just west of the main clump of pines and willows, but after a while it disappeared for a good while, and then reappeared again, much to the delight of latecomers! Distant through the scope and attempted a phone scoped video, but it was utterly crap, so not worth posting. AT LAST I have managed to see this bird properly! Also saw a Common Buzzard, Peregrine and a Chinese Water Deer. I felt so tired, I had been standing around for far too long, hadn't eaten properly and needed the loo hours ago – its hard work birding!

Ended the day at Gramborough Hill and saw a Wheatear on the fence wire, 2 Meadow Pipits and 1 Common Cuckoo at 8.10pm! After filling up with petrol in the garage shop, I arrived home at 9.20pm! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment