SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 19 October 2019

SHETLAND – DAY FOUR!

Levenwick Beach


Always good to check your local patch first!!! Being as I'm staying in Levenwick, this was obviously a good place to start. The light was dramatic and spectacular with dark and blues skies and a complete vivid rainbow over the beach at Levenwick! Rain and sun alternately throughout the day and strong NE winds! I spent a along time here, trying to find something good, but best I found was a Wheatear amongst the sheep, opposite the little beach car park. I returned to the car to get the scope to get a better look, but the Wheatear had vanished when I returned to the spot I had been watching it from. Still lots of Blackbirds and Redwings around, also Robins, a Wren and a couple of Goldcrests. The usual House Sparrows and Starlings were also seen. After warming up with a coffee from my flask (provided in my supplies at my self-catering apartment) I headed to The Geosetter Burn.
Sunrise from my apartment, Levenwick



 
LEVENWICK BEACH


Even though having my Sat Nav is useful for general locations, it obviously doesn't cover everywhere and this I am finding difficult. I have the OS Maps, but even they don't show everything and sometimes I end up somewhere, where I don't even know where I am anyway! I am getting through a lot of petrol! I stumbled upon Bigton Community Shop where the lady who worked in the shop, kindly directed me to the Geosetter Burn – in return, I purchased Ginger Cake! Toilets opposite the shop too which were timed just right! Found the Geosetter Burn and parked the car up opposite the little bridge that has a little wooden plaque saying 'Geosetter Golden Gate Bridge'. I walked up to the top of the burn by the waterfall, but saw very little – a couple of Goldcrests, Redwings, Blackbirds – something pale flashed through the willows, but I couldn't relocate it. Raining again!
The Geosetter Burn

 Isle of St Ninian

Drove to the Isle of St Ninian just for the views and the timing was perfect – the sun came out whilst I was here and I got some fabulous pictures. Got lost by several miles trying to find my next scheduled stop, but eventually found the road to Maywick Farm and beach. It was blowing a gale here and got soaked walking to the beach. Lots of thrushes on route to the farm, along with Starlings and Robins, but nothing else of note. Had a coffee and left.
Maywick Farm

Maywick Beach


With very kind help from Dave and Jacquie Bridges (by phone) I managed to find 'Spindrift' along Noness Road at Sandwick to sit and wait for the Red-backed Shrike to appear. I waited a very long time. Got out of the car, searched the area and other gardens and sat back in the car and did the same again later – dip!!!

The Lesser Grey Shrike that had recently been found on Unst had travelled south to a spot very close by, the message said '.....showing well in garden of last house at Rompa, and down into Channerwick Burn'. So I tried to find Rompa by sat nav and failed. Looked on the OS paper map and could see it was near Hoswick, so sat nav'd it to Hoswick and then stumbled upon a narrow, single track road that said 'Rompa' – I was very pleased to have found this road! It was a very narrow road and not for the faint hearted when I reached the summit overlooking a beach, way down below! I came to a dead end with a house that had a sign saying 'dogs running loose'. Looking down and to my right I could see two cars parked up by a shed/small building and birders (distantly) walking down a slope into a burn. I realised I was in completely the wrong place, so needed to find the road where they had parked their cars. I could see no route down to where they were, from where I stood, so I turned the car around and headed back to the main road. The light was disappearing fast. On my way back I passed a couple in a car also trying to find the correct location to park. It got worse from now on! We both turned down all sorts of little roads, including descending down the very steep road to Channerwick where there is parking for about 2 cars and then it was dark. I glumly gave up and went back to my apartment, far later than I had intended.

I felt so tired when I returned to Levenwick and had loads of wet gear to sort out and I could have easily just slumped in the armchair, but was determined to cook a proper meal. I'm glad I made the effort – soya mince + red onions, with potatoes, carrots, sprouts and gravy, followed by heated up cherry pie and soya cream! Then watched Strictly Come Dancing and fell asleep, which meant the blog got typed up far too late. I hope I find out where I need to be parked up, to see this Lesser Grey Shrike in the morning, I'm sure someone will give parking directions, hopefully anyway. So, in summary, the highlight today was a Wheatear and two dips! Hoping the birding improves a bit tomorrow.

Can't remember where this was, will find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment