SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 29 October 2019

SHETLAND – DAY FOURTEEN!

BEACH DAY!
Meal Beach, West Burra, Shetland
Panoramic Shot – taken with iPhone 11 Pro Max


I had a schedule for today and it didn't work out at all, as I spent far too much time on white sands with glittering turquoise waters and glorious sunshine – it was the best day's weather since I have been here, no wind, no rain, just sun and blue skies all day long. No rare birds, but everything else more than made up for the lack of rarities.

I was up early and headed north to Scalloway. I had a quick look around Scalloway Castle and then parked up in the town by the harbour. I walked into a small 'public' garden which had quite a few trees and shrubs and found Starlings, Blackbirds and a Robin. I then discovered 'Fraser Park' and walked over the huge area of grass, which was iced in white frost! Took a picture of a frosty sycamore leaf on the grass. At the end of the park was a very large garden, full of trees, shrubs and bushes and looked exciting for finding something good. In the garden I found 2 Collared Doves, a Robin, Wren and a Blackbird and that was it. Hooded Crows were flying around the park.

Returned to my car and watched 12 Eiders and a Black Guillemot in the harbour. Drove further around the town and parked up by the fishing boats. Walked up a hill to view another garden full of trees – found more Collared Doves and my first Bumble Bee since I have been here, buzzing around a large Fuchsia bush overhanging someone's garden wall. I really like this place, is has a lot more trees then elsewhere I have seen. Whilst photographing the fishing boats, a elderly fisherman said good morning and started chatting to me – he told me that he saw Minke Whale every time he went fishing and recently had seen a Humpback Whale! He was then going out in his boat fishing – it was tempting to join him, but I would have been sick, so it wasn't even worth thinking about! He told me about a fabulous walk that would take me around a couple of hours around the back of Scalloway, but in my plans for the day I hadn't really got time to do this.

I noticed there was a butchers in the town and asked a local lady if there was a bakers – she said 'there used to be', but there is a cafe. As a vegetarian, I would prefer a bakers rather than a butchers if I lived here! I have noticed Tesco's delivery vans a few times whilst I have been here, so they obviously deliver. I realised I had been here far longer than I had intended. Left and diverted off to West Burra.

This road is extremely scenic and I had to keep stopping to take pictures. You cross two single track bridges to get to the far end of Burra, which are very picturesque, as are all the lochs, harbours, boats, houses, sheep, Shetland ponies – the list goes on! I got to the car park for Meal Beach where I went last night in poor light and made my way down to the beach again. The light was far better today and I was overjoyed to see that the sea was a beautiful turquoise colour and was crystal clear! Watching the clear waves trickle over the white sands and black rocks, made a spectacular scene! I spent a long time here taking pictures, sitting, thinking and simply enjoying the stupendous views.
 Meal Beach, West Burra, Shetland


I met a birder here, a lady called Diana, who was fascinating to talk to – she had arrived a few seconds after me. I spent a long time on the cliff side over viewing the beach and she had walked straight down to the beach – we crossed paths as she walked back up and I was walking down to the beach. She had spent a long time staying on different islands in the most unfavourable months of the year, to see if she would like to live here permanently and she decided she did! She lived in the Cambridge area and was fed-up with the influx of second home owners and dogs in Norfolk (where she spent a lot of time), the loss of community and one thing she said particularly stuck in my mind, when she said 'you can't breathe in Norfolk now' and I knew exactly what she meant. She had just purchased a property in Lerwick and is moving up here permanently very soon. She loves it here and says she enjoys the slower pace of life here, the beauty, nature, birds etc. When I told her I lived in Norfolk, she realised who I was and told me that she reads my blog!

Later on a couple of families arrived on the beach, which added to the composition for some of my pictures. As I climbed back up the steps a Seal decided to put in an appearance and swam almost to the shore, much to the delight of excited children running along the beach to get closer views, which resulted in the Seal quickly returning to deeper waters! I left this idyllic scene and headed back to my car. On route I watched a Wren, Redwings and Blackbirds either side of the little path that leads back to the car park.

Continued to the furthest end of Burra. On route I paused to watch a horse paddock full of birds! This was just before 'Papil' at 1.20pm. It was such a wonderful scene of birds, which included 100+ Golden Plover, lots of Redshanks, Lapwings, Redwings, Blackbirds, Starlings, Linnets and a few Robins. As I have already said in another post, everyone that passes you in a car, who has had to wait on a single track road or you have waited for them to pass, acknowledges you in a very friendly manner – it is very heartwarming. Further along the road I stopped to photograph some Shetland ponies and also to photograph the island of Foula, which loomed on the horizon.

I eventually reached the furthest point you can drive to and parked up in the small car parking area for Banna Minn Beach. There were chickens, ducks and lobster pots here and House Sparrows, Robins and Starlings were around the car park – pretty houses and also ruins. The weather now looked a little less appealing and the sun had disappeared – this would not help my beach photography!

Walked through the farm gate and along a track. Suddenly over the brow of the hill the amazing view of Banna Minn beach comes into view. It is considered to be one of "Shetland's most beautiful beaches, set along the west side of a stunning tombolo leading out to the Kettla Ness peninsula, the southernmost part of West Burra. The peninsula beyond the beach gives enjoyable walking above a wild coastline." As I walked down to the white sands I felt very emotional – it was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. Ringed plovers were scurrying along the beach amongst the huge areas of seaweed. I headed up to 'Lotra of Minn', which just about finished me off, but the views below the cliffs and out to Foula were simply stunning and equally looking back over to Banna Minn beach.

I made my way back down the steep grassy slopes and walked along the grassy track above the beach. Suddenly out of nowhere a very pretty and friendly brindled cat appeared! I fell in love with this cat, it was so sweet and it was loving the attention. It followed me all the way back, stopped when I did and walked on when I did. When we got as far as a small pebbled outbuilding, I turned round and the cat vanished! I turned round 360˚ and couldn't see it anywhere – moments later it appeared from a small entrance in the little building and was sitting on piles of wood at the entrance and looked out at me – it then climbed up onto the fence for more attention and returned inside the building. Was it a stray I wonder? It looked in far too good a condition to be a stray cat. Maybe it was just having a rest on route back to its house! I'll never know! Back at my car, I had a quick coffee and headed back on the long and twisty journey back to Levenwick. On route back I watched 13 Red-breasted Mergansers in a loch at Papil in poor light. It was completely dark by the time I reached Levenwick.

LOTS OF PICTURES TO BE ADDED FROM 24TH OCTOBER, WHICH WILL NOW BE ADDED WHEN I RETURN TO NORFOLK.

No comments:

Post a Comment