SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 24 October 2019

SHETLAND – DAY NINE!

A beautiful sunrise from my apartment and a glorious sunny day with full of excitement! Started early and was on Levenwick Beach just after sunrise. Had a play around with phone scoping/videoing with the new iPhone and the Swarovski adapter – there were exactly 30 Ringed Plovers on the beach, beautiful to see and took a lovely video of one them standing amidst the seaweed on the white sands. There was a fishing boat fairly close in and gulls were close by. There was a big number of Cormorants on the sea, which I videoed and several Black Guillemots. Checked the gardens out and the field near to the cemetery, which held Redwings, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and a single Mistle Thrush. A Goldcrest, Robins and House Sparrows were also seen in the gardens.

Left here and drove up a very, very steep road to Mossy Hill (I think it was called). Lots of pot-holes and several cattle grids to cross, but the views from the top were spectacular! I could see St Ninian's beach from here and just about everything! I then received a kind phone call from Hugh Harrop to say that Orcas had been reported at South Nesting Bay and he recommended that I drive to Gletness (where he was also heading) in the hope that we would see them there, as they made their way hunting around the bays. My next move before this phone call was going to be to fill up with petrol as had under 1/4 of a tank, but didn't want to delay, so headed north – a wonderfully scenic drive to Gletness, where I found Hugh scoping from his vehicle. The light was perfect and it was incredibly exciting to think that I might have my first sighting of Orcas! Got my scope/tripod set up quickly, got the camera ready etc and started to scan the seas – it was very exciting! Spotted a couple of Seals (Orca lunch!) After a while Hugh said he didn't think we were going to see them now, but he was going to look in another area close by and he would ring with any news. I stayed here another half an hour and then gave up at 11.50am. Googled mapped petrol stations on my phone and had the choice of Lerwick or Vidlin – so, in hope that I would see the Orcas further north, I headed to Vidlin!

A wonderfully scenic drive along the B9075 (choose the scenic route, rather than the quicker A970).  I had to stop the car several times to take pictures – such dramatic and beautiful scenery. Photographed some Highland Cattle, but can't remember where this was. Crossing the bridge at Laxo Voe was a particularly beautiful spot with the burn crashing over huge rocks down to the huge voe below. I had brief views of a couple of Redpolls flying off from the bushes here, but didn't see them again. Stopped at the Laxo Ferry Terminal and looked across to the island of Whalsey. Found the petrol station at Vidlin, 'J I Herculson' – the tank was very low at this point! Obviously having a well stocked shop, meant that I purchased some home baked goodies including 'Choc Cherry biscuits', 'Savoury Bannocks' (like cheese scones) and some 'Shetland Island Oatcakes' – you can never have too many oatcakes! The first two items were produced at Johnson & Woodford Ltd, The Bakery at Voe and they were delicious!

I then headed to Lower Voe (visited here with Oriole Birding two years ago) and parked up by the harbour to have my lunch and coffee. A beautiful place, nestled in a valley with a huge voe, lots of fishing boats in the harbour, lots of mature trees, pretty houses and a burn. Turnstones, Ringed Plovers and Herring Gulls on the beach in the sunshine – the light was perfect. Driving along the road in the village a bit later, I managed to take a picture of a House Sparrow in the grasses with the iPhone! The time was ticking away and decided to sensibly head back to Levenwick, which was a long drive.

Sat in the lay by above Levenwick, had a coffee and a snooze. Scanned for Orcas, ha ha! I felt exhausted after all the driving today, but didn't want to return back to my apartment yet, so headed south and ended up at Clumlie and Boddham, where I watched several Ravens near some farm buildings, Redwings, Blackbirds, a Song Thrush, House Sparrows and next to the voe, several Mallards, Ringed Plovers and Turnstones. Headed back to Levenwick and took some pictures of the surrounding area next to Voortrekker. Big gales forecast for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment