SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 24 November 2020

BLOGGER ISSUES AGAIN!

So I have contacted the Blogger community help forum today, as getting REALLY fed-up with ongoing issues. I have my blog set to show 30 posts on the home page, changed it 15 posts and it still only shows one or two and before I publish this post, it only showed ONE!!! I have tried changing to just 5 posts and that doesn't work either. Just in case any of you have been wondering, its not down to me! It looks so silly with just one or maybe three or four posts showing, but currently its out of my control!

Also having issues with copying and pasting bird news from yesterday, which I do all the time, as often the same birds are still here the following day and it saves me typing it all out again. When I open yesterday's bird post, it then comes up with the following:


I then have to wait for AGES for the title and main text to appear and I mean ages!!! Then I copy and paste and create a new post. THEN....... as I add new birds to the list for the day, the letters appear REALLY slowly, way after I have typed the sentence and generally the entire experience is insanely slow!

All these issues (and more) have occurred since Blogger changed their 'old legacy' interface to a new one, which all bloggers were forced to then use from September this year. The new interface is obviously not working very well at all is it?!!!

UPDATE:

Blogger reply:

Hi Penny,
 
It looks as though your blog is actually set to show 10 posts per page, not 30 or 15.
 
I think the reason you are seeing less than that is that your sidebar is so very busy with so many images. Blogger rations blog pages based on the amount of stuff they include. Your sidebar loads firsts and hogs all of the allotment for the page; Blogger responds by pagenating your blog in ways you do not want.
 
Here's more on this problem and how to manage it.
 
As for your problem with the editor timing out: it is not really related, but you may simply need to reduce the number of windows and tabs open in Firefox and/or the number of aps open on your Mac. Firefox can be a memory hog, and rebooting it can also resolve this issue.
 
Another possible cause is a low Internet connection, which can sometimes be resolved by rebooting your router and modem.
 
 
My Reply:
 
Hi Adam

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I changed it to 10 posts, forgot I had changed it again, but whatever I put it in, it doesn't work. My sidebar has always had lots of images in and there has never been a problem until Blogger changed the interface, so is this why this problem has arisen now please? Also each of those pictures links to a blog post when the reader clicks on them and I don't want to delete them when I have not had to before!

Re the editor timing out, I only have my blog open and Rare Bird Alert website at the time on Firefox and only have one window open (never have more than one window open) and I don't have any apps open on my Mac, so with respect that is not the issue?!

My internet connection is excellent and I have fibre broadband with TalkTalk.

Kind Regards
Penny Clarke
 
 
11pm 25th November

I have had no reply yet, on the blogger community forum to my above reply. I decided to take their advice and deleted 20 of my 36 pictures that are displayed on the side of my blog. Sadly it was a waste of time, as it has made almost no difference at all!!!

So I posted the following on the forum again at 11pm:

So, I have just deleted 20 of my 36 images on the side of my blog, which I now regret, as it has made no difference at all – any more advice please? I currently have 5 posts showing on the home page, click on older posts and I have ONE post showing, click on older posts again and I have three posts and again, clicking on older posts I have four. I have changed the settings for posts showing to 20. How do I get this so that 20 posts or at least more than 5 are showing on the home page please?

2 comments:

  1. I sympathize Penny...
    So many websites / hosting companies (even Bird Forum) think change for its own sake is a good thing. To me: if it ain't bust, don't fix it!
    (Also: what's the deal with Fat Birder? The rankings go up and down randomly: if you check their site, you find there are dozens of obscure bird/ wildlife sites from remote locations going 'up the charts' every day!
    Hope you're feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, I have blogged since 2006 and changed to the new interface in September or maybe earlier. I haven't had any issues so far. I use Google Chrome on my PC. The only thing I have learned to do differently is to go into the code and alter two digits for each photo posted to give me better quality. Good luck I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

    ReplyDelete