SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 20 August 2022

BEE-EATERS AT TRIMINGHAM – AT LAST!!!

I must be THE last Norfolk birder to see this wonderful spectacle of Bee-eaters! They first arrived on the 4th June – they were made public on 16th June and viewing was from 17th June. Because of my health situation, I was unable to drive back then – my very good friend Pete S. very kindly offered to drive me, but I didn't want him coming all the way over from where he lives to pick me up, it would have been far too much. It is only now that I felt able to drive that far – I knew I could, as I had to drive to Norwich on Thursday for my MRi of spine and shoulder (no results yet) and Trimingham isn't exactly much further!

Typical of me, I set off far too late – as didn't sleep very well last night. I had already been told that photography is best in the morning (sun behind you), so arriving in the afternoon wasn't exactly one of my best ideas. I have not been able to lift or use my SLR camera since some time in May and had hardly even started to get to grips with the new Canon R5 and 100-500mm lens back then. Today, I tried to use the camera for the first time and was overjoyed to find that I could use it, with no issues at all and this really lifted my spirits. I'm loads better than I was and only have slight nerve pain in my left arm every now and again, thank goodness.

The traffic was horrendous and what should have been a one hour ten minute journey, was well over an hour and a half – it was easy to find the site at Trimingham, with large RSPB signs and arrows. Parked the car up in the field/car park with a very lazy short walk to the viewing point! Several people here, but not loads. Had a lovely catch up with Simon C., one of the daily volunteers here and who also puts the daily Bee-eater news updates out, on to various birding news sites and also Lin P. I spent a wonderful afternoon watching the Bee-eaters, but was looking straight into the sun, so absolutely pants for photography.

The juvenile Bee-eaters were unbelievably cute – peeping out of their nest hole and waiting for parents to feed them. I think they were being slightly lazy, as two have been out flying for a few days now and they really ought to start catching their own breakfast, lunch and tea: BEES! I was lucky to witness the juveniles flying around later too. It was a perfect spot for viewing, as you are overlooking brambles all the way along the edge of the field into the quarry below, so there are no issues with anyone breaking rules and trying to get closer! So, all very civilized and well organised by the RSPB and North East Norfolk Bird Club etc. The Bee-eaters were distant, so difficult to get any crisp shots and I certainly didn't get anything to get excited about, combined with looking into the sun! But, the entire afternoon was spectacular and I met some lovely people here. It was especially fabulous to bump into Ashley and Claudia B., as I had not seen them since Ashley had his accident – they both (as always) looked really well, it was lovely to catch up with them both. Also said hello to Richard P. and Ben.

An added bonus to the afternoon was a lovely Redstart sitting in the middle of a hawthorn bush, which I saw several times throughout the afternoon. The skies were graced with Swifts, Swallows and House Martins and also a Common Buzzard was cruising high up in the white clouds. A Kestrel's favoured spot was perched on a tree stump in the middle of the quarry, what was it waiting for I wonder?! Also saw lots of Starlings perched on the telegraph wires with the adult Bee-eaters along with Linnets and Goldfinches.

I eventually tore myself away and parked up on the main road in Trimingham and walked to the cliff top wood, but saw nothing but Wood Pigeons here! Returned to my car and drove home. What a story this is for Norfolk! I still can't believe we have had Bee-eaters breeding and now four fledged young – I just hope they all leave safely on mass! I so wish my parents had been alive to witness this amazing scene. Huge thanks to all the people involved with the 24 hour watch protection and coping with all the visitors daily! The Bee-eaters will depart on their migration for South Africa any day now, but I think they will be here a bit longer than some may think – surely the adults can't expect the youngsters, especially those who fledged last, to be strong enough to fly too far yet? Maybe I'm wrong – we will all find out over the next few days! I might have to go back again!

A few rubbish pictures to be added

No comments:

Post a Comment