SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 2 May 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Waxwings x 7 at Sound, Lerwick. Hawfinches x 2 at Burn of Sound, Lerwick. Hawfinch, Pied Flycatcher male at Helendale, Lerwick. Icterine Warbler, Wryneck, Ring Ouzel at Quendale Mill. Wryneck at Quendale. Garganey drake at Loch of Spiggie. Ring Ouzel at Noness. Red-backed Shrike male at Pool of Virkie. Ring Ouzels x 2, Pied Flycatcher at Sumburgh Head. Siberian Chiffchaff at Geosetter Burn. Hawfinch at Scousburgh. Wryneck (dead) at East Burrafirth. Wood Warbler at Voe Head, Pied Flycatchers x 3 at Boddam. Wood Warbler at Hillwell. Red-backed Shrike fem. on Out Skerries. Pied Flycatcher at Skaw, Whalsay. Pied Flycatcher at Gutcher, Yell. Black Redstart at Norwick, Unst.
 
 
 
Stunning day here whilst I was at work. Tried to find my own migrants in Scalloway this evening and failed. The usual Siskins, Bramblings and Chaffinches in my garden. Couldn't find anything anywhere else. Potted some new plants up and cleaned and changed all the bird baths and finished this at 10.15pm! Blackbird singing on the top of a tall conifer until after dark!

Today is exactly one year since I moved to Shetland – can't believe I've been here that long! Best move I've ever made!

6 comments:

  1. good for us too, we are all fed up with you slagging off norfolk,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born in Norfolk and very proud of this. I have not been slagging my county off, simply stating how much its changed due to the mass influx of people, traffic, dogs, new housing, loss of habitat etc etc. If you don't like me talking about this, then with respect , don't read my blog. Were you born in Norfolk? If so, I presume you are still happy and that's good. If you were not born here, then also with respect you won't have a full understanding of what I am talking about. Who is "we", I presume you mean "you"? I'm not the only one that feels like I do, there are many who have left for the same reasons.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Penny - I’ve only lived in Norfolk for some 20 years but have noticed an ‘urban mentality’ creeping in and with it a loss of habitat and wildlife!!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for for your comment, much appreciated. Yes, its all very sad. One of the most ridiculous things I have seen in a garden in Holme are two lollipop ball trees in a front garden of gravel – nothing else, just that. No other planting to encourage nature, so sterile. My late parent's garden is wickedly the same now – it was a mature, organic garden, with lots of different species of trees, shrubs, wild areas, etc and where many birds nested – its now a massive strip of grass and an area of shingle to stand the oil tank on! My parents would be completely mortified to see it now. I've only seen it on the house sale brochure, there is no way I will ever be able to look at this in person, I would weep.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your Moveniversary!
    May there be many, many more!!

    ReplyDelete