SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER ELEVEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 11 May 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Hawfinch at Toogs, West Burra. Pied Flycatcher, Waxwings x 2 at Burn of Sound, Waxwing flew over Lerwick. Long-eared Owl, Hawfinch at Brae. Orca at Esha Ness.
 
Short-toed Lark, Shorelark at Skaw, Unst.
Common Rosefinch fem./1s male at Leagarth, Houbie, Fetlar.
Ring Ouzel on Out Skerries.
Orca x 2 south past lsle of Bressay.
 
 
It was seriously hot here (for Shetland) today and reached 20°c – south wind and blue skies all day!!! People walking round Scalloway in shorts and t-shirts! One Siskin today, along with House Sparrows, Blackbirds x 2, Starlings, Rock Doves, Collared Doves and heard the Great Spotted Woodpecker. Potentially good for migrants in the next couple of days – switches south east from 1pm tomorrow and then stays south east with rain on Monday and I have that day off as annual leave!

I did two packed car runs to the Recycling centre in Lerwick this morning, the first one was all cardboard boxes and the second was all kinds of stuff including old bathroom radiator, old garden border fencing, garden waste etc. Stuffed a ton of newspaper used for packing into the paper/card wheelie bin. Swept the wood shed out and its now super tidy and ready to get a log delivery when I need it, not right now!

My house is lovely and cool in hot weather, thank goodness. Spent a long time cleaning up after the work that went on in the bathroom and washed all the floors and did some housework. Dismantled the storage heater that has been removed from the office so I could remove the eight fire bricks inside and this then enabled me to carry the storage heater outside, ready to take to the tip. Had a super healthy salad tea, sitting outside on the patio – from here I can see telegraph wires over my wall on the hill – hoping for a Bee-eater on there one day! My Sycamore tree leaves are now fully out and looking magical against the blue skies. Everything looked so pretty today and all my pots and plants are all looking good. Bluebells now out in the front garden.

Had a lovely card from Debbie Jackson today. Sisters Debbie and Ruth are daughters of the late Ruby and Peter Jackson, who were very close friends of our family. Peter was very close friends with Richard Richardson and my father. Peter did several trips to Fair Isle with Richard. Debbie writes in her card "..... I hope you're ok and loving living in Scalloway, I remember Shetland, its just so beautiful and wild and green. Uncle Richard and my dad would be pleased you moved there....." I've just noticed the address in her card, that she has moved from Hertfordshire to Norfolk!
 
No Northern Lights here yet, but its still not completely dark, maybe later........

2 comments:

  1. Keep your newspapers for lighting your 🔥 fire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get Northern Lights... I managed to actually see them last night and get a couple of acceptable photos... here in central France I just got wavering pink hues, but it makes a change from the last time I saw them from Dunnett Head in Caithness... whenever I saw them there, it was just green!

    ReplyDelete