SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 9 May 2020

LOCKDOWN DAY 45 – COVID-19

FRIDAY 8th MAY

I didn't sleep very well last night at all and ended up listening to the dawn chorus from my bedroom window – I was so pleased to hear a Cuckoo calling distantly! This inspired me! Showered, washed hair and went out early morning birding at 6.50am, walking from my house along the cycle path until I reached the fields and marsh between Reffley Wood and the QEH.

It was worth getting up for. The highlight of the morning was at least 10+ Whitethroats singing and flitting about amongst hawthorn and reeds in the sunshine. Also a Stonechat was sitting on a small bush right out in the middle of the fields distantly – I hadn't expected to find that here! Other birds seen were Reed Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Crows, Jackdaw, Little Egret and a Grey Heron flew over, Mute Swans x 3, Mallards, Blackbirds, Wrens, Great Spotted Woodpeckers x 2, Green Woodpecker, Common Buzzard erupted from Reffley Wood, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, House Sparrows, House Martins x 4, Jay and Starlings.

Returned home and took my Rustic French bread out of the breadmaker, which I had set on timer last night – this was the first time I done this particular bread recipe, very nice indeed! Did some washing, cleaned bird baths out and topped up the feeders. Cooked a posh lunch in honour of VE day, but it was too hot to sit outside! A big family of Starlings have seemingly permanently moved in and are hoovering up all the bird food and have one million washes in the bird baths! So lovely to watch a row of Starlings perched on top of my trellis, shaking their wet rainbow feathers! Was so pleased to see a baby Robin in my garden this morning, hopping around right next to my patio door and away from the boisterous Starlings.

Dozed on the sofa in afternoon, my lack of sleep had caught up with me. Vivien texted me some lovely pictures of her sitting on Ray's bunting decorated narrowboat and I phoned Lucy for a chat. Watched the VE Day celebrations on BBC1 – watch on iPlayer HERE, which was both brilliant and incredibly emotional.

Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed in Norfolk’s hospitals

Police urge efforts to continue ahead of PM’s lockdown update

Public told to continue to abide by lockdown

UK 'to bring in 14-day quarantine for air passengers'

Newspaper headlines: 'Never give up' and all arrivals to the UK to be quarantined

Scientists obtain 'lucky' image of Jupiter

No comments:

Post a Comment