SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 1 June 2010

FAIR ISLE - Four birds in Trap Round adds excitement to the morning!

Got up at 5.30am and left at 6.20am walking along the road via the shop. Counted 45 oystercatchers in the fields on route this morning. Not a lot else of note on route to the 'Chalet'. Freezing cold this morning, it was most definately a wool hat day! Jack was doing trap round this morning - nobody else turned up but me. In the Gully trap we had a nice surprise of a Spotted Flycatcher and 2 Garden Warblers. In the Vaadal trap (behind Plantation trap) we caught a female blackbird.

Walked back for breakfast: porridge, fried eggs, beans, tomatoes, vege cutlet, toast, bagels, fruit juice and tea!

On Jack's advice I walked the south west cliffs this morning. Excellent views of two Ravens over my head and a Spotted flycatcher in the South Geo, but apart from that nothing out of the ordinary, disappointingly. Walked to 'Pund' and back onto the main road and back via the School, Old Haa, Schoolton etc for lunch.

Lunch: Soup and warm brown bread rolls and butter and two different types of cakes!

I felt quite despondent about going out this afternoon - don't know why really, probably too many early mornings and the very cold wind this morning. As I don't have enough clothes for two weeks, I decided to wash some clothes by hand and hang out on the line - afterwards my warm, cosy room felt very relaxing and I decided to have a little kip!!!!! Well actually it turned out to be a very long kip! Went out for some air at 6.30pm and watched 4 Seals amusingly watching me amongst the beautiful Eiders amongst the rock pools.

Dinner: Soup and bread, vegetable stew with vege dumplings, fried potatoes, vegetables and Treacle Pudding to follow with coffee.

To make up for an incredibly lazy afternoon I climbed almost to the top of 'Malcolm's Head' and tried out my new 2x Canon Converter with the 300mm F4 lens on the 7D taking shots of Guillemots on a ledge below the cliffs - I was very impressed with the results, the ISO was set at 1250 though and taken at around 9.45pm. I could only see a few distant puffins. Saw a Pintail that Richard had seen over the past few days and managed a distant shot of it. Got back to the lighthouse around 10.15pm.

Think I will have to get to 'Roskille' tomorrow which is above the observatory - was one of the best places to photograph puffins when I was last here.

Pictures to be added!!!

1 comment:

  1. Looked forward to you puffin pics. Weather looks good for the end of the week. Keep looking in those crofts - the biggy will be there!!

    Regards.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete