SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 15 March 2015

WHITE-TAILED EAGLE in Norfolk!

Whilst spending time with my family – the pager bleeped up with:

WHITE-TAILED EAGLE 2w flew north over Great Cressingham at 12.25pm then seen SE of Swaffham (seen by Ian Brittain and Richard Preston), just west of North Pickenham at 12.31pm, then south of Swaffham and flew east at 12.45pm.

Eddie M. doesn't have a pager, so I phoned to let him know that it could be hitting the Norfolk coast at some point this afternoon. Can you believe some people's luck!!!

The last sighting of the day was by Eddie Myers (and one other birder) who excitedly rang to tell me he had watched the eagle fly over Warham Greens towards Wells at 4.18pm!

I left Holme in hope of jamming in on the Eagle and decided that parking up the slope, high up, just before the boat house at Thornham Harbour would be as good as place as any. Mark & Tracey Bradbury had the same idea and turned up shortly after me. We stood here in the cold east wind for a good while. I fully expected to see that Eagle sailing over my head and posing, due to the fact that I have no cameras at the moment! But this wasn't to be! Sparrowhawk west, 2 Little Egrets east and a couple of Marsh Harriers distantly over Titchwell, but no sign of a great big eagle!!! We reckoned its roosted at Holkham – no doubt will be seen tomorrow whilst I'm at work. Good job I have one on my Norfolk list already!

I relocated to Choosley Barns, just in case the eagle had decided to cruise the ridge. Met two birders there who knew nothing about the eagle sightings in Norfolk (no pager) and were on holiday and staying in Hunstanton. They soon realised I was Penny from the blog and asked me some tips on where to see different birds around Norfolk – nice to meet you both and hope you get to see the Eagle tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment