SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 11 July 2015

SEARCHING FOR BEE-EATERS!

I didn't leave early, I couldn't see the point of arriving at dawn, when the Bee-eaters didn't roost there last night. But I did spend most of the day looking for the 10 Bee-eaters around Theberton, East Bridge and Leiston.

Some birders had arrived at first light I was told, but nothing seen. I also heard that there was at least 160 birders there last night, more than probably 200 and the road was jam packed. At Theberton Woods I saw a Red Kite, Common Buzzard, Treecreeper, Chiffchaffs, Coal Tit and a Robin, a female Emperor Dragonfly and a Common Darter. I looked all round Leiston and also Eastbridge, spending time by the bridge near the pub to watch all kinds of activity! A Water Vole put in an appearance and sat nibbling a reed stem – I saw two Norfolk Hawkers, lots of Banded Demoiselles, Swallows, Sand Martins, House Martins, Swifts, a  Cettis's and a Sedge Warbler. As I sat eating my salad tea in my deckchair a Barn Owl flew extremely close to me when I had left the camera on the passenger seat! I met some lovely people today, most of which where equally as disappointed as me at not seeing the Bee-eaters.

Back at Theberton in the evening, I stood with around ten other people in hope that the Bee-eaters would come into roost, but no sign again. Someone pointed out a Turtle Dove flying over the telegraph wires which was nice and also a Barn Owl flew over twice carrying prey (looked like a vole to me). Swallows and Linnets perched on the wires where there should have been a colourful array of Bee-eaters! I departed with a heavy heart – I still can't believe they have been there all week and then disappear on Friday.

Left at 8.50pm and got back into King's Lynn at 10.30pm, filled up with fuel and arrived home at just before 11pm. I could hear the finale of Festival Too from my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment