SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Birding at Cley!

IBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF
Bedraggled in the rain at Walsey Hills NOA

After spending four hours in the hairdressers, I eventually got on the road to see the Iberian Chiffchaff. It was a very warm, humid day. I spent a long time at Walsey Hills NOA trying to see and hear the Iberian Chiffchaff. I heard one brief call along with a handful of people and that was it.

There were at least 10+ Yellow Wagtails with the cattle in the Eye Field at Beach Road, Cley – but no sign of the Grey-headed Wagtail that was seen this morning. A Wheatear landed on a post and a couple of Meadow Pipits were also feeding in the field.

I returned to Walsey Hills later on and stood with Marcus Nash, but there was no sight or sound from the Iberian Chiffchaff. Not long after Marcus left, I heard and saw the Iberian Chiffchaff singing in a willow tree. The light was dire and it started to rain quite heavily. I had to return to my car to get my waterproof bag, before the camera got completely trashed in the rain. Three other birders turned up and saw and photographed the chiffchaff and very kindly put the news out to RBA, being as I had no phone signal in here with Vodafone. Then local Kelling birder Ian arrived – we watched the Iberian Chiffchaff in several different places, including the large hawthorn at the end of the path. It was incredibly difficult to photograph in this poor light and spent most of its time behind branches!
Iberian Chiffchaff at Walsey Hills NOA

No comments:

Post a Comment