SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 18 August 2018

Cley and Salthouse

I allowed myself to escape today – well it wasn't exactly for the day, I didn't leave until 3pm. I promised myself I would get out of the house for a change of scene, but everything I do is taking so long. I don't feel able to do things at my normal speed and efficiency. I spent the morning doing a load of washing, putting it out on the line, doing all the bird ponds and topping up the feeders, looking after the cat and cooking lunch. Vivien is back in Ely this weekend with Ray and I am here alone on cat duties!

I should have been at Rutland Bird Fair this weekend – I had booked Friday off to go, but there is no way I am capable of driving that far and facing hundreds of people, much too soon. I wasn't even sure about driving to Cley, but I made it – after contending with the ever increasing traffic and with motorbikes weaving their way around cars and day trippers driving faster than they should be. I felt guilty about going out, what gave me the right to do something nice after my poor mother has died? I suppose its normal to feel like that.

I arrived at the Cley NWT Visitor Centre just before 4pm, just in time for a clotted cream and jam scone – but, they didn't have any left – I was most disappointed, so had to make do with a piece of cake and a pot of tea. I sat by the window enjoying the wonderful views over the reserve and Eddie came to join me which was nice. I left here and headed east.

Parked up at Beach Road, Salthouse and ambled out to Gramborough Hill. It was a beautiful afternoon and I was glad I had made the effort to escape. As expected at this time of the year, there were few birds to be seen, but I did manage to see two Linnets in the scrub on the hill and a Little Egret on the marsh. The best moment of the day was laying in the thick dry grass on top of the hill in the sunshine and gazing up at the blue skies and fluffy white clouds and thinking about my parents – were they up there looking down? Maybe, who knows. Nothing can be as bad as what has happened in the last eighteen months – losing both parents in this short space of time is unreal – how are you supposed to cope?! Sand Martins and Swallows skimmed over my head. I tore myself away and made my way back to my car.

Yesterday, the 'green' Skoda went in the garage for a major overhaul: its second service, break fluid service, first MOT, two new tyres and new window wipers (required by MOT fail!), taxed, mini valet and none of it was part of the three year guarantee which is up on the 1st September so the bank balance has been considerably lightened! So its back on the road and looking nice and shiny – I looked into exchanging to a new Fabia a few weeks ago, but the monthly price increase for a new one was about £60 more and I'm not going to do that. I could have had their new smaller model Citigo, but the boot is minuscule!

Anyway, after Gramborough Hill, I parked up at the bottom of Old Woman's Hill and walked out to Daukes' Hide to join the gull watchers: Eddie, Mark, James, Richard et al! It was really nice sitting here and the light as always was beautiful. Besides the gull roost (1 Caspian Gull found by Eddie and a Yellow-legged Gull), there were good numbers of Black-tailed Godwits, Avocets, 2 Snipe, 1 Green Sandpiper, Shelduck, Pied Wagtails, Teal, Redshank, Ruff and Moorhen. I left the hide before the others and then drove back as the sun was setting along the A149 back to Holme. I stopped in Wells to get some chips and had to queue at 8.45pm! It was heaving with people like it was the middle of the day! Arrived back home, got the washing off the line and looked after the cat! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment