SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 14 November 2021

East Winds: Searching for Nutcrackers & Grosbeaks!

Wells Woods produced a mass of barking dogs – I really don't know why I decided to go here on a Sunday! It was a lovely sunny day and this brought out the hounds, along with dog whistles and shouting! I walked all the way to Holkham in my search for something exciting. Good numbers of Blackbirds, Redwings and a Song Thrush found and bird of the day was a Raven flying east over the marshes, but nothing else of note, not even a Robin was seen. I crossed over through the pines, just before the "Look Out" at the end of Lady Anne's Drive and walked back along the beach for a short distance to see if I could find the Shorelarks, that have been seen here recently. I was lucky, it didn't take long and I had good views of 4 Shorelarks feeding in the roped off area, although not close enough for frame filling pictures! Walked back through the pines and then back onto the coastal footpath past The Dell – not a single bird seen. Three Long-tailed Tits were in a hawthorn just before the car park and also a couple of Jays.

Had a brief scan over North Point Pools, mainly to see if the Glossy Ibis had relocated there, as no further news on this, since it flew north from Stiffkey at 12.30pm. Good views of a Red Kite cruising over the pools and skeins of Pink-footed Geese flew over my head. Headed to Garden Drove at Warham, but after passing the East Hills birders, who had just walked up the track, I decided not to bother. Had a cup of tea by the field next to the concrete pad and a bull decided to come up to the gate – it stood motionless, staring at me – was it bored? Or was it intending to charge through the gate at me? – it looked quite surprised when I decided to stroke its head!!! It gave me an evil look, as if to say "you really are pushing your luck" This was rather crazy and I have no idea why I did this, but still alive to tell the tale!

Went to Stiffkey Campsite car park and immediately left, as the car park was jam packed!!! There wasn't a single space to park. Headed to Blakeney and stopped at "The House on The Hill" – 2 Blackbirds perched in an elder and 2 Robins chasing each other, nothing else seen. Ended the day at Salthouse and walked to Gramborough Hill in the semi-dusk – a Redshank was standing in the pool. John F. was here, trying to magic something out of the scrub, but nothing found. A Curlew flew over towards the beach and also saw a Little Egret flying west. Had a catch up with John on the way back to our cars and bumped into Ben, who was then walking out to Gramborough Hill – he would have needed a torch to walk back! As I was packing my gear up in the car, it started to rain – drove home via Holt. Will the rain and east winds produce anything mega tomorrow? Maybe, maybe not! Summary of the day: saw far more things with four legs, than two!

No comments:

Post a Comment