SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 2 November 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 32: The Trip Home & The White-tailed Lapwing!

MONDAY 1st NOVEMBER 
 
Last night I managed to get to my cabin before the ferry started rocking and it ROCKED! All night long, there were several times when I felt I was going to slide from my bed to the floor!!! So my tablets worked brilliantly again and I didn't feel sick in the slightest, but the motion of the ferry kept me awake for far too long. There were all kinds of noises going on, creaking, banging and clattering, it was enough to wake the dead, as they say! This passage was actually worse overall, then my journey out to Lerwick!
 
Set my alarm for 5.15am, managed to have a shower without falling over and was in the restaurant for breakfast when it opened at 6am. I also managed to carry my breakfast tray to the table without falling over, unlike on the way here! The ferry arrived at Aberdeen at just before 7am and I was out promptly onto the car deck and sat in my car ready for the off.

Left Aberdeen for the journey south at 7.05am. It was dark and pouring with rain. In theory, without stopping I would have arrived home in King's Lynn by 3.30pm, but of course that is not possible unless you are completely bonkers – you need breaks, of which I had many and several little dozes on route back. I got through three cans of Irn Bru, to give me sugar boosts.

Did a slight detour to Blacktoft Sands RSPB Reserve to see the White-tailed Lapwing, but didn't get there until just after 3.30pm. The light at this time was dire, so didn't have the best views, but what an unusual and interesting bird – I don't know how people have been getting mint pictures of the White-tailed Lapwing, as it was way too far away to get anything decent with my 100-400mm lens and the light was rubbish too, but managed to get some records shots.
 
Arrived home at about 7.50pm. I have travelled 2,227 miles from start to finish. Have unpacked most things and done two lots of washing. Lay-in tomorrow on my comfy mattress! Back to work on Wednesday, so any rares or megas for Norfolk can arrive tomorrow please!
 
PICTURES TO BE ADDED                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment