SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 3 September 2022

Autumn Birding!

Cruised east and parked up along the road opposite the track to walk Kelling Water Meadows. Very sad to see the hedge removed behind the seat, which was a lovely shady spot to sit and is now completely exposed with a new house being built behind it. It was clammy, hot and cloudy and although it did rain, quite heavily in a few short bursts, it was not enough to drop in any top draw birds.... yet.

I ambled along the track to the water meadows, it was good to be out, as I have not been out much lately for various reasons. A small group of birders were watching the Wryneck, just around the corner from the pool, which was perched on a bramble, half way up the fenced hedgerow that runs uphill/east. Fabulous to see, but I had not brought my scope with me, as I didn't want to risk carrying too much and antagonizing my neck (which is now much better), as will be back at work very soon and also because I thought the Wryneck was much closer than it was – it wasn't. A very nice birder allowed me to look through his scope. It was lovely to bump into Jacquie and Dave B. here, who arrived a short while after me and also Phil H.

I wandered off to the end of the track and headed up the path towards the radar station to see what I could find. Lots of action, with a Stonechat and Whitethroat sitting inches apart in the top of a bramble bush, at least three Whinchats, a Wheatear, flock of Goldfinches and then another Whitethroat in the brambles alongside the path. Several hirundines hurtling over in the cloudy skies. Returned to look at the Wryneck again, but it wasn't showing and I was so hot, I didn't have the patience to wait, plus I wanted to see the Icterine Warbler at Gramborough Hill. Nothing else of note, as I walked back along the track to my car. Passed Marcus Nash who was coming out to see the Wryneck – I told him that it would be unlikely that he got a picture and if he did I would eat my hat – I need to eat my hat! 😆 🤠 😋

I could see there were still lots of people at Gramborough Hill watching/waiting for the Icterine Warbler, so I decided to go to Walsey Hills first and go to Gramborough when there were less people there, this was a mistake! Walsey was jam-packed full of birds, I didn't know which way to look first! There is a nut feeder up now and it was a lovely surprise to see a Great Spotted Woodpecker on this feeder, that duly flew away as I walked along the bottom path. I didn't see anything particularly exciting, but there were just lots of general birds around including lots of Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Goldfinches, Greenfinches x 2, Blackbirds, Whitethroat and Robin.

Parked up along Beach Road and briefly chatted to Richard 'The Hat' and someone else and also John F. Walked to Gramborough Hill and waited with several others for over TWO HOURS! The Icterine Warbler did not reveal itself for me or anyone else after 5.25pm (just before I got there). There were two Pied Flycatchers though, flitting around every now and again and at one moment were both in the largest oak tree at the back of the scrub. Also saw a Wren when I walked around the top on the hill, after my two hour vigil. Left here just after 7.30pm. Totally my own fault, I should have come here first and then looked for my own birds, oh well, I've seen a few before, so no tantrum or tears! 😊

Just before I reached my car there were 2 Stonechats balanced on a marram grass clump and a Pied Wagtail next to them on the shingle, which was lovely to see. Several campervans and motorhomes parked up for the night as I left. I saw a Little Owl on a telegraph wire on route home and flushed another one off the road! Sadly I didn't produce any pictures worth posting today, better luck another day!

2 comments:

  1. A very nice birder4 September 2022 at 09:55

    I bet it’s a while since you saw a wryneck through an Optolyth draw tube scope!

    ReplyDelete