SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 23 October 2014

DEREK MOORE 1943-2014

Derek Moore at The Rutland Bird Fair 2013

Very, very sad news to hear from Stephen Moss, that Derek Moore has passed away today after a long illness. A huge character and wonderful man – he will be very sadly missed by all. I enjoyed tremendously chatting to him at the Rutland Bird Fair on several occasions. He signed his book "BIRDS – Coping With An Obsession" for me last year and wrote "For Penny Gorgeous Woman Birder! Derek Moore Bird Fair 2013" which made me smile. He brought smiles to lots of people's faces.

For those of you that don't know Derek Moore, read his blog: http://derekbirdbrain.blogspot.co.uk/ – his profile reads:

"I have been birding since leaving the womb. Spent years in my native Suffolk as a volunteer holding positions like BTO Rep., County Bird Recorder, Founder Landguard Bird Observatory etc. In 1985 became Director of Suffolk Wildlife Trust, 1999 - 2001 Director of Conservation Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts and finally CEO Wildlife Trust of South & West Wales 2001-2004. Awarded OBE 1999. Now Chairman Welsh Ornithological Society."

My sincere condolences to his wife Beryl,
his children and grandchildren.
May You Rest in Peace with the Birds Derek

1 comment:

  1. I met Derek in August of this year as I was an inpatient in the hospital Derek was being treated at. My bed was opposite his , I have to agree with you Penny that he was a huge Character. I instantly took to his story telling and he really lifted my spirits at a very difficult time for me .
    We had some very interesting conversation's about nature/wildlife and I was amazed at his encyclopedic brain !
    I only wish I had known him longer than the brief week that I chatted to him. Rest in peace Derek. My condolences to Derek's family.
    Alastair from Carmarthen.

    ReplyDelete