SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 23 March 2020

UK LOCKDOWN!


 About time!
Hope this necessary lockdown isn't too late!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

Well, that's that then! So now, we have to comply and good job too! It was obvious it was going to happen, people don't like being 'advised' to do stuff, even if does mean saving lives – the majority of people are pretty dam selfish and that's putting it mildly. No mention of enforcing the second home owners back to London..... yet, anyway, come on Boris, do it! It does make me really cross that all those people acting like imbeciles over the weekend, have now stopped local people who don't live near the coast (because we can't afford to live on the coast!), being able to get there now, being as you can only walk from your house to exercise and have to "minimise time spent outside of the home". As a birder I find that extremely frustrating – if I lived on the coast or at least somewhere near the countryside, I would be more than happy for weeks on end with today's new 'measures', just simply going for one walk daily and seeing a few local birds – but, very sadly where I live, my local area consists of pavements and houses, nothing therapeutic about that at all! After having to work all day in the hospital in an incredibly stressful and increasingly worrying situation, it would have been so lovely to have gone for a short country walk, either after work or at the weekend. My life balance is going to be utterly rubbish! At least I have a few birds in my garden thank goodness!

I was very pleased to see the Holkham Estate has shut its car parks and everything else from 3pm today and in any case, nobody would be able to park there anyway now, as not allowed to drive to go for a walk. You can only walk for exercise from your house – if you live in Holkham you will be very lucky! I envy my fellow birders who do live on the coast, hugely right now!!! No Spring migrants for me this year, none at all😢 Mind you, I did see a Wheatear at Cley last week, so that could well be the only one! I detest suppression of rare birds hugely, but in these extreme circumstances that we find ourselves in, I would be eternally grateful, that if anybody finds a good bird in Norfolk, that they DO suppress it, for my sake and many others!!! Can't believe I just said that! Don't even think of broadcasting news of a first for Britain either! I don't want to know!

Let's hope that this lockdown doesn't go on for months on end, but I fear that could very well happen. Take care and look after each other, for those that are lucky enough to have more than one person in their house – I will end up talking to myself (no change there!).

Oh my goodness, I have just realised all the hairdressers are closing, my appointment on 7th April will obviously not happen. Can you imagine how crazy busy the hairdressers will be on the day they eventually open again! It takes three months to get an appointment booked at mine as it is! My hair will be very long again, by the time I get there!

On-line shopping will now kill off any high street shops completely. People will get so used to shopping this way, that any high street shops will more than probably never open again. We are getting a daily free cup of Costa Coffee at work, but I'm guessing that will be closed by the morning, we'll see.

I think I might start a new daily post at weekends "Hot Birding at Penny's!" Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment