SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 21 April 2020

LOCKDOWN DAY 29 – COVID-19

I could have easily fallen asleep on the sofa, but I was also desperate to get outside for fresh air and birds. I walked from my house and was very pleased to discover Reffley Reservoir, which is adjacent to Reffley Woods in King's Lynn. I seem to recall walking here many years ago, but didn't realise this area of water was called Reffley Reservoir, until Robert Smith kindly informed me yesterday on Twitter and tweeted me a map. It was a beautiful, sunny evening. Along the reed filled reservoir, were several Mallards with ducklings and a Moorhen. I could hear Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs singing and a Green Woodpecker cackled in the distance – I also saw Blue Tits, Robin and a Blackbird. This was a really lovely walk, however there were too many dogs being walked for my liking – to be fair, most were on leads, so that was ok, but one huge dog with big head and teeth, looked very scary and was not on a lead – it looked like a bullmastiff type dog and the two slightly built ladies with it, called it back when it was thinking about taking a sprint towards me. The frightening thing was, that it it had have gone for me, there is no way in a million years they would have been able to control it. Luckily it was an obedient dog! The large notice on the gate stated all dogs must be kept on leads, obviously they didn't see this.

I made it as far as Reffley Woods, but retraced my steps, as decided it was pretty stupid to be entering a wood on my own in late evening, so close to a residential area – if it had been on the coast, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. On the way back, I looked back towards Reffley Wood and had wonderful views of a Barn Owl carrying a large vole! I continued to walk back and not long after that I couldn't believe my luck! There in front of me was a beautiful Short-eared Owl over the fields behind Spring Wood, adjacent to the QEH hospital. Not only was it close enough for photos, it flew across my path as well!!! I did not have my camera with me sadly! I didn't even have my iPhone with me. I had purposely left all valuables at home and only had my cheaper binoculars with me, as this is not an area to be walking around with expensive gear. This is one of the reasons I rarely walk around here and always drive to the coast, but in times of lockdown I will have to for my sanity and mental health! I will have to return with the camera gear this week!

Starlink space display set to continue all week: how you can see a bright trail of satellites in the night sky tonight

Five further coronavirus deaths at Norfolk hospitals as total rises to 191

In a war zone against an invisible army: A senior doctor’s insight into life on the NHS frontline

Hospital’s coronavirus cases fall, but warns it is too early to relax

Coronavirus deaths in the Anglia region at their lowest level for nine days

UK 'throwing everything' at developing vaccine

Millions of pieces of PPE being shipped from Britain to Europe despite NHS shortages

World risks 'biblical' famines due to pandemic - UN

Couple celebrate their 'not wedding day'


No comments:

Post a Comment