SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 3 May 2023

An Exhausting Day, with Internet Issues etc!

Today, I did very little. I felt completely exhausted.

Some of the hospital Estates team kindly came over this morning to wire in my electric cooker, plumb in my washing machine and look at other things that were not working, including the towel rail, extractor fan, a storage heater and windows that didn't open/close and also to investigate the front door lock. They also sorted out the TV aerial lead for me, which was very kind of them to do. I also asked about coat hooks, as oddly there are none at all in the very large hallway – I will probably just get them myself, as not something I feel I can do without – wet coats etc.

Several tedious phone calls to TalkTalk, who finally said they would send an engineer out between 9am and 12pm tomorrow – this was decided at around 6.30pm. Around an hour later the internet went live, so I texted them to say I didn't need the engineer now and they messaged back to say that they were going to charge me £75 for cancelling, as I needed to give them 24 hours notice to cancel – they are having a laugh with me of course!!!! How could I possible give them 24 hours notice when it was only booked at 6.30pm!!! I won't let that one rest, something else to sort out!

The only things I managed to get done today were, walking to the hospital and meeting lovely Arlene who assisted me to get fitted up for my new uniforms next week. Unlike the QEH in King's Lynn, they have stock of all uniforms in house! So was sent away with four sets of navy trousers and mid blue tunics with navy piping and washed these twice in the machine (as recommended). The only issue being, the trousers are unisex and are very long – you have to turn them up yourself and I don't have a sewing machine, so will need to buy navy cotton and get stitching the weekend! Did a shopping list.

Went to Fort Cafe & Take Away in Lerwick, bought fish and chips and drove to the quayside just past Tesco to enjoy my tea overlooking the harbour, with greedy herring gulls waiting for chips. Did a huge shop in Tesco's to fill the empty fridge freezer and returned home. Lost my parking spot opposite the house. Had to walk down the 12 steps to the house, left the shopping by the front door (that doesn't unlock) and then walk around to the back of the house and up a short flight of steps to back door – walked through house to unlock front door, to retrieve shopping! I still can't believe I am here!

End of day two!

2 comments:

  1. All the very best Penny; very brave but the right move;
    wish i was there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care, we have just moved house after 40 years and it not easy, exciting times ahead and the start of another journey. Good luck with your new job, looking forward to reading your blogs from a true Norfolk girl from Shetland xx

    ReplyDelete