SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 12 May 2023

Friday Update from Shetland!

Meal Beach, West Burra – late evening

 

I've had a fantastic start in my new job, so very pleased indeed. Went up to the hospital canteen with my two colleagues on Thursday and had lemon bread & butter pudding and custard – OMG! To die for! Must not go in the canteen again! Had a lovely Facetime call with Hilary the day before and Sarah B. last night! I work four days, Monday to Thursday, so today was free!

It couldn't have been a nicer day in Shetland, almost too hot and blue skies all day long. I had to finish some important jobs though, so didn't get out until the evening. Lots of boring telephone calls, filling stuff in on-line and so on to do with my move. Chased my solicitors, as not heard anything about my house sale since 20th April. Spent an hour claiming for a missing parcel, which I posted on 5th April to a buyer in Brighton and not received –  it was First Class mail and tracked. Royal Mail don't make doing that very easy! My bird feeding area is full of House Sparrows, Starlings and a pair of Blackbirds. There was a Western Subalpine Warbler at Quendale today, but only seen a couple of times according to the WhatsApp group, so I presume elusive.

The single track bridge connecting West Burra to the mainland

 

This evening I drove to Meal Beach at West Burra – it only took about 15 minutes, I had not realised it was only nine miles from my house! A lovely scenic walk from the car park, but not so dramatic as my last visit in October 2021! The sea was almost like a mill pond – beautiful white sands, clear turquoise waters and black rocks encrusted in limpets and seaweed, made a stunning scene. A couple of Red-breasted Mergansers were close inshore and a Wheatear bounded over the path as I descended to the beach. A few Turnstones were on the rocks and an Oystercatcher flew over. Back at the car park I enjoyed a macaroni cheese pie and then cruised home. Stopped on route to scan a copse and field, Blackbird singing – a male and two female Blackbirds in the field, one rabbit and some very pretty dark coloured sheep and several cute baby lambs. Returned home and fell asleep. Serious birding day tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Your descriptions of life in Shetland are wonderful,- also the photo’s.Thank tou

    ReplyDelete