SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 27 May 2023

Trip to Watsness – Shetland!

Near the pier at Walls
 

It was raining this morning, but this afternoon was glorious sunshine. I headed north west to Watsness near Walls, to see Jill and Rob's house they are renovating. A quick reminder –Jill and Rob moved up from Norfolk just over a year ago. A very scenic drive of hairpin bends, lochs, waves, picture postcard crofts, skipping lambs, Arctic Terns, Hooded Crows, a Raven, Wheatears, dramatic skies and rainbows.

Bridge of Walls
 

I last saw Jill and Rob's house in gloomy weather of October 2021, a few months before they moved in. So it was fabulous to see the house in full sunshine, with lambs skipping along the road as I approached the house. Watsness Loch glittered below the hill with cliffs, sea views and the island of Foula on the horizon – WHAT A VIEW! Jill met me at the gate and I gave her a bouquet of flowers and some pastries, as a little thank you, for so kindly coming all the way over to Lerwick to greet me off the ferry on the 2nd May, I won't forget that.

Jill and Rob have taken on a gigantic challenge with this house, but it was so exciting to see inside and see all the work they and their builders have achieved so far! WOW! The views from the windows are truly spectacular! So lovely to meet their gorgeous cats and the cute hens amongst the bluebells. After a tour of the house and garden and hearing about their plans, we sat in the living room having a cup of coffee and cake. One of the cats sat on my lap and fell asleep, this was heaven – its going to be very difficult for me not to end up with another cat at some point!

On route home!
 

I headed back home and I stopped several times on route to soak up the views. Its so incredibly beautiful here, I still can't believe I'm now living in Shetland. Took a lovely picture of an Oystercatcher on a stone wall, near the "Bridge of Walls". Two "Bonxies" (Great Skuas) flew over the road, just south of "Walls". The silence here and being able to hear nature is magical – the call of a Curlew, an Oystercatcher, an Arctic Tern, water rippling, waves crashing, wind and rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment