SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 8 May 2023

Out Birding In Shetland At Last!

St Ninian's Isle, Shetland
 
 
SUNDAY 7th MAY

By lunchtime, I had finally unpacked and organised everything in my house! Well, everything that I need until I purchase a house here, anyway. Very pleased indeed, even though the kitchen is small, I love this little house! One of the best things is the quietness, very little noise at all, the odd car goes by and that's it. So lovely to watch the House Sparrows, Blackbirds and Starlings feeding from my living room window. I still haven't got round to searching for my cookery book boxes though. Over the last couple of days I have purchased a 4 tier shoe rack, a maple folding table and a outside mat from Home Furnishings in Lerwick – a posher version of a Wilkos type store.

Cooked brunch and then went birding for the afternoon. Had a quick look at the Burn of Sound on the outskirts of Lerwick – a lovely little spot, where I saw a Red-flanked Bluetail once, but nothing seen here at all. Interesting to be here at a different time of year, with primroses and other Spring flowers in abundance. Chatted to a lovely lady called Brenda, walking her little dog as I was getting into my car. Headed south – stopped briefly at the parking/viewing area, just south of Cunningsburgh and to my delight watched a Chiffchaff fly in off the sea and land close by briefly. Headed to Hoswick and parked up near the Orca Inn – there has been a Hoopoe here for the last few days, but not for me sadly! Lots of very cute baby lambs everywhere, skipping in the fields with their mother's protectively keeping an eye.

A message popped up on the Shetland WhatsApp group that a Hoopoe had been found at 'Noss', so I headed to Noss, which is next to Bigton. Local birders will be chuckling now, as I found out shortly afterwards – the message was for the Island of Noss!!! Oh well! Had some lovely views of a Tree Sparrow feeding on a field with House Sparrows and also three Twite, Oystercatchers, Black-headed Gulls and Hooded Crows. At Spiggie Loch a Bonxie flew over my head, which I had not expected and several Swallows skimmed low over the road, which was a fabulous sight to see! Stopped at Geosetter to see what was left of a list of birds seen earlier by a local birder – saw a female Blackcap and a possible Pied Flycatcher, which flitted so quickly, I couldn't nail it down, frustratingly.

Ended the day at one of the most picturesque places in Shetland – St Ninian's Isle. It felt colder now and had to put my serious hat on. It was breathtaking to be here, it really was. Not a single person in sight. If this was Norfolk, it would have been teaming with people and dogs. I didn't even see another footprint in the sand along the tombola! I had such a wonderful time here by myself. Watched a pair of Ringed Plovers, a pair of Eider, 3 Common Terns fishing on either side of the Tombola, a raft of Long-tailed Ducks, more Eider, a Great Northern Diver close inshore, several Turnstone feeding, Fulmars and gulls were cruising in the wind. It was chilly and it felt fantastic! Gusting white sands created fascinating sand sculptures (see picture). The turquoise sea was so beautiful. I felt like I belonged here. I feel I should have moved here years ago.

Back at the car, I had coffee and Sandwick Bakery Ginger cake – what more do you need to complete your life? Nothing, nothing at all! Drove the 14 miles back to Lerwick in misty weather, which required me to put my fog lights on. Had a healthy salad and cheese tea with local oatcakes, followed by another piece of ginger cake, whilst watching the second half of the Coronation concert. A spectacular first birding trip indeed. Tomorrow I have to turn up four pairs of work trousers, for my new job as Occupational Therapy Assistant at The Gilbert Bain Hospital, which commences on Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. What an absolutely fab time you're having, I'm so envious! Do post some pics of your house etc, would love to see where you are. Hope we get up to see you out and about some time xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some start to your birding. Must have died and gone to Heaven !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, hope you settle in OK and good luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds idillc glad you are feeling at home! Well done you

    ReplyDelete