SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 26 May 2023

House Viewings, American Wigeon & Turtle Dove!

I don't want to jinx things, but its looking like my house in King's Lynn has a completion date, far sooner than I expected! So exciting! If this does all go through, I will be very impressed with Britton's Estate Agents and Hayes & Storr Solicitors, but mostly with the young couple buying my house, who are first time buyers – they obviously want the sale to go through as quickly as I do, so this is brilliant news for all of us.

I viewed my first house last night at Gulberwick and two properties today at Virkie and Scatness. All lovely properties in different ways, but only one nearly ticked all the boxes. Decisions, decisions! I was overjoyed and excited to see a beautiful Turtle Dove, sitting on a drain cover in the garden I was viewing at Virkie – I couldn't believe my luck! They are scarce in Shetland I was told. The sellers of the property said it had only arrived this morning – bonus! I didn't get a picture of the Turtle Dove as I saw it the second I pulled up in the drive and the owners were waiting at the door, so it would have been extremely rude to start getting the camera out. The property was stunning, but maybe a bit too far south for work, but certainly in the right spot for most of the rarities found by Shetland birders!

The last house I viewed this morning was at Scatness, so naturally went to see the Amercian Wigeon that was first seen on the 22nd May at Loch of Spiggie and then ended up at Scatness, seemingly missing for a few days and then found again by someone called Ann. Jill and Rob arrived 5 minutes after I did, so we all walked towards the loch together – staying behind the dry stone wall. It was very distant, but we all saw it well, definitely needed the scope though. It was very skittish and was constantly on the move – it was very keen on a female Wigeon and only looked relaxed with she was close by. The light was beautiful and only two other birders turned up whilst we were here. Tufted Ducks, Mallards, gulls, Arctic Terns, Ringed Plovers, Lapwings and Wheatears also seen. We all headed back to our cars and chatted about houses selling here. Jill and Rob left and I made some important phone calls and pondered about the properties I had viewed. There was a totally gorgeous tabby cat here – it was so friendly and twice tried to get into my car – its fur was so soft, I really wanted to pick it up and take it home!

Jim Nicholson and Hugh H. turned up and also another birder on holiday here, who came across to chat to me about my move. Valuable advice from Jim and Hugh about buying property here and tips on best dentist and best garage to use for my car! Left here and headed to Grutness Pier – not a soul here, but very few birds either. Mallards, Ringed Plovers, 2 Common Gulls, 1 Arctic Tern, Lapwing, Redshank at the pool. I then returned to the house I viewed at Virkie and had a drive around the area to get a feel for the place – so many pretty houses and gardens – no sign of the Turtle Dove. The day ended in fog and light rain. I returned home and promptly fell asleep.

Going on a little trip tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment