SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 17 May 2023

Mid Week News From Shetland!

I love the fact that I can see the sea after walking 50 yards from my house. The bubble still hasn't burst! Nearly all the views from the hospital windows are of the sea, I noticed a Gannet flying past today, when I was on route to a ward – you just couldn't make this up! The MDT room must have the best views anywhere in any hospital! Love my new job and all going far better than I imagined – lots to learn and a new way of working, but all good so far. A slower pace here, which is good all round and all the staff are exceptional to work with. The Shetland SOH is on another level, I think my friend Hilary (from QEH) must have connections here 😉 😂

Last night I walked around Clickimin Loch again in hope of another glimpse of the Eastern Subalpine Warbler, but I guess it was hunkered down somewhere (it had been seen just after 5pm) as it was a very cold NW wind and I didn't get lucky. Bumped into finder Andy Johnson who had seen it again early morning, along with a male Pied Flycatcher. Andy said the Pied Fly was still here and gave me precise directions where he had seen it. I never tire of watching Pied Flycatchers and especially a male bird, so off I went to find it. Sadly, no luck with that either, which was a little disappointing. Several Swallows skimming over the loch, a Mute Swan, Blackbird, House Sparrows and a Wren seen, along with Hooded Crows on the hillside. A beautiful local spot and only minutes away in my car, to be honest I could have quite easily have walked here. I did a Zoom call with Lucy, which was lovely and good to see her, even though it wasn't as good as seeing her in the flesh as they say. Vivien and Ray are on a big trip, heading north in their narrow boat.

Today was the first time it was raining whilst walking home from work. I had a lazy evening, plus it was raining anyway, so didn't venture out. Had a lovely Facetime catch up with Hilary, who always makes me laugh. Hard to pin down my solicitors re my house sale – I really don't understand why a house sale takes so long to complete. I will just have to cross my fingers and hope the perfect house doesn't come up here, until I get the cash in the bank. End of week two tomorrow in my new post – adjusting to new hours and days. I worked Wednesday to Friday before and now working Monday to Thursday – love my new start time of 9am, old job start was 8.15am – so all good!

A mixed forecast over the next few days, with minimal hint of easterlies, but it is May and it is Shetland, so anything could turn up! Andy Johnson found a Siberian Chiffchaff at Clickimin Loch this morning too and the Eastern Subalpine Warbler is still here and also the Western Subalpine Warbler at Quendale Mill. Looking forward to more exploring and birding on Friday and the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment