SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 26 April 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Hawfinch, Common Redpoll at Swining. Ring Ouzel, Black Redstart on Out Skerries. Blue-headed Wagtail, Ring Ouzel on Fair Isle.
 
 
Bramblings x 4, Siskins x 6, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Rock Doves, House Sparrows, Robin, Blackbirds in my garden today.
 
 
Its been a bit stressful this week, as the brakes on my new car decided to fail whilst driving down my hill and obviously this was pretty scary, I managed to recover the situation, by steering left uphill into the Weight Training Club car park, where the car stopped and I sat there for a while in disbelief this had actually happened. The alternative would have been to continue down the hill to the T-junction and possibly into the harbour! I phoned Trust Ford in Aberdeen and then took the car to the Ford garage (under warranty) in Lerwick, where they discovered that the Brake Servo Pump wasn't mounted properly – they couldn't understand why this was like it was, as it wouldn't have been accidental they said – they have now mounted it properly. They were not sure if this could have led to the brake failure I had?! Hopefully this has solved what could have been a very serious situation. This has not helped my confidence since my accident in January. Is anything ever simple and straight forward in life?!

Trust Ford in Aberdeen admitted some of the repair work done at a bodyshop in Aberdeen "could have been done better" and are posting me a Skoda touch up pen, have paid for a window wiper to be posted to me (received today) and they are going to pay me for the petrol they didn't put in, when I paid £50.00 and they only put £25.00 in, the key fob batteries and T-cut to try and remove/polish out some of the scratches – I'm not an expert at this.
 
OVO still have not given me the bill from the 20th January to the 27th February (before Octopus took over). They obviously don't want my money. There is an issue with readings apparently – no, there isn't. I gave them the readings on the day I moved in and readings for 27th February – its quite simple, get it sorted!

Talk Talk emails were not working for around 12 hours and it took two long, long phone calls to get sorted, well it didn't get sorted by them, in fact they cut me off on the second phone call! I sorted it myself in the end – obviously my 'technician' skills are better than theirs!

Today, Margaret popped round, (who owned the house) which was lovely. We had a cup of tea and chat and she kindly named all the plants and shrubs in the garden for me, but wasn't sure of the name of one large tree or one shrub. Looks like I have an excellent selection of trees and shrubs for the birds in the next few months and Autumn! Lovely sunny day here, but chilly south east winds. Tomorrow is rain and south east winds – time to look for some Spring migrants. Margaret popped back again with some cake (Shetland Huffsie I think its called) – she really is a top draw cook!
 
 
Plants, shrubs and trees in my garden
(excluding my plants in pots I brought with me)
 
Sycamore Tree
Elder Tree
Rowan Tree
Tree, not identified yet
Crocosmias
Blue Bonnets
Rhubarb
Bluebells
Daffodils
New Zealand Flax (in pot)
Fuchsia
Shrub, not identified yet
Weigeila
Aruncus Diaicus (Goat's Beard)
Deutzia
Rosa Rugosa
Hebe (in pot)
 
Cuttings from Hugh H.
New Zealand Holly
Icelandic Willow

1 comment:

  1. Gosh Penny, it's astounding how unbelievably unlucky you are with just about everything, that's shocking news about the car, I do hope everything will get sorted for you. But so lucky not to have been a serious accident, glad you're OK.

    ReplyDelete