SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 30 April 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Ring Ouzel at Pool of Virkie. Ring Ouzels x 2 at Sumburgh Head. Ring Ouzel at Staney Hill, Lerwick. Quail at West Burrafrith, Bridge of Walls. Wryneck, Pied Flycatcher, Ring Ouzels x 6 on Out Skerries. Ring Ouzels x 2, Pied Flycatchers x 2 on Isle of Noss. Hawfinch at Skaw, Ring Ouzel at Isbister, Whalsay. Wryneck, Hawfinch, Ring Ouzels x 31, Pied Flycatchers x 2, Long-eared Owl, Mealy Redpoll on Fair Isle.
 
 
Missed Orcas in MY harbour at Scalloway this morning by approximately 10 minutes, whilst getting ready for work! 😒

Went birding straight after work around Lerwick. At West Hall, off Sea Road (Tescos) I checked out the horse paddocks, but only found one Woodpigeon, a few Blackbirds and two cute rabbits sitting in the garden amongst the Daffodils. Walked along the sycamore track that leads to Seafield Park – only birds found were Starlings, House Sparrows and Oystercatchers. Lots of Turnstones feeding amongst the rocks along the sea wall. At Pullar's Loch there was one Tufted Duck and more Turnstones feeding.

Nipped to Tescos to get some cash out and ended up buying a Bougainvillea plant in the outside stands by the cash machine. I think its highly unlikely this will survive here, but I decided to take the risk as I have always wanted one of these.

Checked out Helendale Drive and area, hoping to see this morning's male Pied Flycatcher – no chance. Saw very little, but huge number of Hooded Crows in a large mature garden with very tall pine trees. Along Clickimin Loch I had my first Spring Willow Warbler singing and seen, a female Blackcap, a female Chaffinch and a female Brambling. Its a long time since I have walked here and there were far more dogs off leads than I usually see. I was horrified to find for the first time a green bag of dog crap hanging in the one of the bushes – never seen this in Shetland, I thought I had left all that behind in Norfolk! It will be very depressing, if that trend catches on here, it surely must be somebody moved up from the south, no way can this be a 'local' person.

I was going to go to the Burn of Sound, but felt very tired and decided to go home. 3 Siskins in the garden. Placed the Bougainvillea plant in the most sheltered little spot in my patio area at the back of the house and will repot this over the next few days or at the weekend – I wonder how long it will last?!

2 comments:

  1. Please put your Bougainvillea indoors for the moment, I'd say it's too cold for one to go outside even down here right now. I had one that survived the summer months in a sheltered spot in our garden but unfortunately winter finished it off, it's the cold and wet that they don't like, not to mention the wind! If you have a sunny windowsill indoors that would be ideal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete