SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 5 April 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Bittern at Loch of Hillwell. Hawfinch at Scalloway. Waxwing at South Nesting. Hawfinch at Out Skerries. Long-eared Owl, Snow Buntings x 3 on Fair Isle.
 
 
Something very strange occured this morning, when I first got up and looked out into the front garden, two of my feeders were on the ground – there has been very little wind and they are heavy feeders. Seeking advice from Hugh H., he said it may have been Hooded Crows who work in the night! Cleaned all the now empty feeders properly and scrubbed down the hanging bird table and bird baths. Topped everything up again and it didn't take too long for all my usual birds to return.
 
New garden bird today – a Male HAWFINCH at 3pm!!! Its very handy that I can view all of my neighbour's Jimmy's long standing bird feeders and bird baths in his garden from my living room, without even leaving the house! I was scanning with bins and was suddenly aware of a large chunky bird that had flown to drink from a pedestal bird bath and was very excited to see it was a stonking male Hawfinch! It then flew up to perch in the tallest trees. I grabbed my camera and went outside and of course it had vanished! I went back indoors and walked to my front door to view my feeders and there it was sitting in my tree, peering down at the bird feeders and the boisterous Starlings scrabbling over the fat balls! WOW! By the time I had got my camera, it had disappeared again, so sadly no pictures at all, but what a bird to have in my garden!
 
Supporting cast of Bramblings x 4, Siskins x 2, House Sparrows, Starlings, Blackbirds, Robin, Collared Doves and Rock Doves. A sunny day here, but light rain and cloud later on. Heavy rain and strong south, south easterlies all day tomorrow. A mixture of strong and light south west winds on Sunday, with rain and sunshine!

Searching on line for a second hand Skoda Fabia Estate SE L or Monte Carlo in blue!!! I dithered about one the other day and regretted it – the next day someone reserved it and beat me to it and now sold – this was on Cinch who deliver free to Shetland. I have changed my mind about buying another rallyee green Skoda, it would bring back too many bad memories of my accident.

1 comment:

  1. New Garden Bird... male HAWFINCH!!
    You lucky, lucky, lucky.... (expletive)!!

    ReplyDelete