SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 7 April 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Glaucous Gull on Isle of Foula. Bittern still at Loch of Hillwell. Glaucous Gull at Mair's Quay, Lerwick. Arctic Terns x 2 or "Tirriks" (earliest record ever, last earliest record was 18th April) at Grutness. Ring Ouzel, Twite x 4 on Fair Isle. Snow Buntings x 2 at Baltasound, Hawfinch at Valyie, Norwick, Unst.
 
 
Very strong winds but fabulous sunshine and blue skies. The Hawfinch has not returned, but I had a fabulous selection of birds in the garden today! 2 male and 2 fem Chaffinches, 1 male Goldfinch, 4 Bramblings, 3 Siskins, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Blackbirds, 35+ House Sparrows, Starlings+++. Then later in the afternoon I had my first hirundines of the Spring – such a welcome and magical sight to watch 4 Swallows and 3 House Martins skimming and twisting low over my garden! What a day!

After doing lots of housekeeping with paperwork and filing etc, I finally got out and walked around Scalloway to find some birds. More Swallows and House Martins skimming over my road as I headed down to the harbour. Other than that, very little found, they were all in my garden! Found a Curlew and the usual Hooded Crows were around. Took some nice pictures of houses and gardens with Spring flowers and Daffodils on show. The wind was still very strong and it was raining lightly. On returning to my house, I walked part way up Gallows Hill to see my house from a different aspect – Scalloway looks amazing from even half way up the hill. Sheep and Shetland ponies on the hill make an idyllic scene.

I completely changed my mind about the car I put a deposit on yesterday and emailed Skoda to say I'm not interested. Instead I put a deposit on another car, which I am very happy about – just need to clarify a few things, which I have emailed to the sale room where its for sale in Aberdeen. Hopefully will have another car soon and before May with fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment