SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 13 December 2014

Holme Reserves!

As I predicted yesterday, the day started in a chilled way, literally! Pity I got up so incredibly late as when I eventually crawled out from the under the duvet and peeped through the curtains, I was greeted with a sparkly white frost and blue skies – this was 12.45pm. Wicked to get up that late, but you can't burn the candle at both ends at my grand old age!

I had brunch around 2.30pm and could have easily dozed on the sofa, but forced myself out to get some air. Arrived at Holme at around 3.45pm – yep, I know it was late, but better late than never! Parked by the 5-bar gate along the Firs Road and set off on a long walk. A couple of Little Egrets were on the pools opposite the car park. I followed the boardwalk east, through the NWT Forestry and bumped into Robert who was with some other birders, waiting in hope of seeing a short-eared owl. I managed to see a Marsh Harrier and a Barn Owl over Holme Marsh. Walked all the way to Holme Bird Observatory, took some pictures of the broadwater with the red glow of the setting sun and walked back along the Firs Road. It was now completely dark and bitterly cold. Skeins of Pink-footed Geese filled the skies overhead and then plummeted down to settle on the marshes.

Went to buy some sacks of sticks from a local farm for my parent's fire and then spent a couple of hours chatting to them about last night's party, health issues and Christmas dinner!

Spent the rest of the evening watching X-Factor, thank goodness Fleur East got through – she has to win tomorrow, there is no doubt that she is a Super Star. I will try and get out earlier tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment