SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 28 May 2015

Costa Del Blakeney Point!

A beautiful day on Blakeney Point


It was a beautiful day with bracing winds. As I headed along the beach to Blakeney Point, I just knew I wouldn't be finding any megas, but had planned to walk there and that was where I was going, even though the Black-winged Stilts were still at Frampton – they can wait!

Sandwich and Little Terns flew over the turquoise blue sea with glittery fish and it it looked like a perfect summer's day. I confess, I was lazy, I got a lift! Ajay and someone else were driving along the beach in a tractor and trailer and very kindly offered me a lift. I couldn't resist! It was fabulous flying along the beach with the crashing waves, it almost felt like being on the Good Shepherd going across to Fair Isle – ok, not quite so violent! I did suggest that they would make a fortune if they ran this service officially to BP – just think of all the birders that would use this when a mega turns up! I think most people would pay a fiver not to walk up there! They dropped me opposite Beachway and I carried on walking to The Plantation. I felt like I had cheated, no aching legs and felt quite refreshed, but still sat down anyway to wait for birds to appear! None did, sadly, not a single bird in The Plantation, not a Robin, or Chiffchaff, nothing. It was really warm now, and I had a lovely siesta after lunch.

I re-located a few yards away and sat in front of the Tamarisk bush and watched Meadow Pipits and a juv Linnet, but nothing else of note. Decided I needed to actually try slighter harder to find birds and got up and walked all round Near Point, back through the dunes and back along the beach. I crossed over to look for birds at Halfway House, but they were loads of people staying there with children running round, so gave that a miss. I did walk through the sueda bushes after Halfway House, but didn't see anything for a good distance, so crossed back over the shingle to the beach. It was high tide and was very difficult walking back in wet, deep shingle. Saw a Sanderling flying west and also 2 Ringed Plovers and more Terns heading to Far Point. Sat on the shingle for a while and had a coffee and a marmalade sandwich. Eventually, I got back to Coastguards! Someone was flying a kite which they didn't look they were in control over – are people allowed to fly kites here? It's not 'Sunny Hunny' – it just didn't look right here if you know what I mean.

Very, very windy day!

The old laboratory with the Tamarisk.

The beautiful Tamarisk.

 The Plantation, Blakeney Point.

Near Point, Blakeney Point.

 NT Rangers secret shoe collection!

Resting on the way back from Blakeney Point.

Sea Campion.

Sea Kale (Crambe maritima).

A beautiful day at Blakeney Point


Went to Walsey Hills NOA and walked all round, but very little seen – a Chiffchaff, Chaffinches, Magpie, Woodpigeon.... all exciting stuff! Back in the car park I could see the Spoonbill on The Serpentine off the East Bank which was bird of the day.

Walked to the NWT Hides and sat in Dauke's Hide until 8.30pm. There wasn't too much to see initially, but then had 15 Ringed Plovers land briefly along with a Dunlin, but they didn't stop long and flew off to North Scrape. 2 Little Ringed Plovers were on Pat's Pool. Other birds seen were: Avocets, Shelducks, Redshanks, Pied Wagtails, Lapwings, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 1 Heron, 2 Little Egrets, 3 Marsh Harriers, Mute Swans, Mallards, Sedge Warbler and a Reed Bunting. I missed the 2 Red Kites that Eddie and Andy saw whilst standing on the East Bank. Walked back to my car, had a coffee and drove home in daylight.

PLEASE NOTE: Anyone thinking of walking to Blakeney Point for the first time and with a dog, you are only able to walk so far, because of nesting birds. There is a clear sign that states where you have to turn back. There were a couple of people today, not only walking past the sign but with their three dogs off leads – that is until NT Ranger Ajay intercepted them! The National Trust states the following: "Dogs under close control or on a lead everywhere except: No dogs permitted on Blakeney Point from early April to Mid-August except for areas near Cley Beach and around the Lifeboat House."

A FEW MORE PICS & SOME VIDEOS TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment