SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 21 May 2015

BLACK STORK at Ringstead & Old Hunstanton!

DIPPED!
I was snoozing on the sofa, completely exhausted. Pager bleeping and then text bleeping through on my phone, meant I had to get up. The pager read: "BLACK STORK flew SSW over Holme + circled Old Hunstanton Park/Ringstead at 5.52pm, then flew west. Again at 6.38pm, SW of  Old Hunstanton Park over Ringstead Downs, seen from hill between Ringstead and Sedgeford then lost to view". On the second pager message, I had to go!

Flew along the Ringstead Road and got excited when I could see birders standing on the side of the road with bins to the skies – Ashley Banwell, Trevor Girling and a couple of other local birders were searching in vain and then Billy Rand also turned up. I phoned a couple of birders to see if anyone knew if anyone else was watching the Black Stork close by, but no more news.

I spent the rest of the evening searching, headed towards Sedgeford and back round by Heacham Lavender, back to where I started and then through Ringstead to Old Hunstanton, through Holme, Thornham – going up the minor road just east of the Farm shop to gain height to scan the coast, then onto Choosley and then back through Ringstead. The Black Stork has probably cruised across The Wash by now! Saw lots of Hares, Red-legged and Grey Partridges, Oystercatcher, Kestrel, Pied Wagtail, Whitethroat singing, Chaffinches, Yellowhammers and a beautiful sunset. Drove home, knowing I shouldn't have left the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment