SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 7 June 2015

Sunshine, Dining Out, Dragons & Damsels!

Bayfield Lake


I had promised my sister Lucy that I would take her out for the day in my holiday – I had left it until the last day! It was a spectacular day and the wind had died down, but there was still a bit of a breeze, which was just right. No good for birds, but for everything else it was beautiful. Lucy can't walk very far (long story), so I have to think of pretty places for her to enjoy, which don't involve walking at all really!

We started the day at Sculthorpe Mill and sat on the picnic bench enjoying the stunning scenery. Lucy loved it here and it was she who spotted the Grey Wagtails first. We also watched a Wren, Chaffinches and Goldfinches.

Parked up at Natural Surroundings at Glandford so I could show Lucy the fantastic Gunnera plants which line the entrance track and went into the shop where Lucy bought a few items.

Stopped at Glandford Ford and watched a Mute Swan swimming under the footbridge, a Mallard and 2 Black-headed Gulls. Also saw a Whitethroat and 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers flying over. A Sedge Warbler was also singing. Left here and stopped at the Cley Deli where Lucy was very impressed with the fabulous cake selection – we bought some Ginger & Pear Cake!

We had a lovely time, sitting at a picnic table on the new veranda at Cley NWT Visitor Centre, enjoying a lovely jacket potato lunch in the glorious sunshine. I just needed a bee-eater to fly over and all would be perfect! I could see several birds on the NWT pools/scrapes from here, including 2 Little Egrets. Showed Lucy the new wildlife and eduction centre and then left.
My sister Lucy at Bayfield Lake.

Bayfield Lake.

 Four-spotted Chaser

My sister Lucy watching the dragonflies at Bayfield Lake. 


We sat at Coastguards to have an after lunch nap, but Lucy didn't seem able to nap, which mean't I couldn't either! Vivien texted to say she was a Holme with parents. We left to return to Natural Surroundings at Glandford after Eddie M. kindly texted me about several things he had seen there. Lucy and I walked from the car park to Bayfield Lake and I'm so glad we did, it was stunning here. Tons and tons of damselflies skimming over the lake and also saw a Four-spotted Chaser Dragonfly. Bumped into Steve and Sue G. and had a lovely chat with them before heading to Holme.

Spent the rest of the day with all the family and enjoyed the Ginger & Pear Cake from Cley Deli! Tried to get Father to go outside in the sunshine, but he didn't seem to want to, such a shame, he's not been out of the house for months now. Vivien is off to Cornwall for a week's holiday tomorrow. My holiday now ends! Back to work in the morning!

MORE PICTURES TO COME

No comments:

Post a Comment