SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 22 March 2019

Burnham Overy Dunes and Gun Hill!

Not early enough though! Early bird catches the worm and all that jazz..... Ashley Saunders did just that and jammed in on the White-tailed Eagle at 11.08am this morning at Burnham Overy Dunes!

Walking to BOD wasn't a good idea really, not with my dodgy left foot, which is still very tender to touch, I don't understand why it hasn't healed – I requested another appointment with the fracture clinic today – no appointment available until the week I return to work though. Wrist still not healed totally either!!!

It was worth the walk out though, as I had a nice little selection of birds, nothing the size of a barn door though! Lots of Greylag Geese and Egyptian Geese on the way out along with Shelducks, Wigeon, Lapwings, Starlings, Heron and small flocks of Linnets overhead. East of the end of the boardwalk, I found 4 Wheatears in the dunes! Also had a Red Kite overhead (camera was in bag).

West of the boardwalk and at Gun Hill, I found 2 more Wheatears, a pair of Stonechats, 4 Spoonbills flew west, big flock of Linnets and in the bushes immediately seaward side of Gun Hill, I flushed 2 Robins, male Stonechat and more Linnets. Bumped into a birder here (I didn't know him) who said he had a Whinchat in the dunes on Tuesday – this seems very early indeed! I don't know what the earliest Spring record is for a Whinchat in Norfolk?

Ambled back to the car after sunset and arrived back in King's Lynn around 7.30pm. It was gloomy all day here and the sun only came out intermittently later on. Tomorrow looks like a nice sunny day and Sunday looks even nicer! Traffic queues back home on Sunday night could be on the cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment