SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 31 March 2019

Last Day of My Holiday!

Busy doing jobs all morning in preparation for returning to work tomorrow. I was more emotional than I expected to be on the first Mother's Day without my mother – a huge sadness enveloped me. It was another beautiful day, but the cruel east wind cut through you like a knife. I eventually left the house after lunch and went to the family home again at Holme. After discussion with Vivien last night, I turned the stopcock back on, which means we now have water again! I had turned the water off over the winter to stop the risk of burst pipes, but hopefully it should be ok now. I spent a long time cleaning all the little bird drinking ponds out and watering all mother's big pots of wallflowers and other plants. I felt that was the least I could do on Mother's day. I'm sure she approved of all my little jobs to look after her garden – until it sells, I felt duty bound to keep it in order. It was lovely in the garden, but the longer I spent there, the more emotional I became.

Went to Titchwell RSPB and had my lunch sitting in my deckchair again, but this was a big mistake! I soon moved back into the car – far too bitterly cold to be sitting in a chair outside! Walked round the Fen Trail and to Patsy's Pool and then back along the main path as far as Island Hide, well just beyond. It was so cold along here, that I turned back. The light was beautiful and there were tons of birds on the freshmarsh. I'll be honest, I wasn't really focussed on birds today – it was just a case of getting through the day. I didn't see anything of particular note really – heard a Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaffs singing, usual selection on the freshmarsh, loads of gulls, Avocets, Teal, Wigeon, Shelducks, Black-tailed Godwits etc.

As I returned to the car park at 6.05pm, I witnessed a small car driving at a massive speed with a loud exhaust, hurtling over one of the speed bumps and then parking in the car park. Three 'lads' then got out of the car – you could tell they hadn't been here before, as they seemed to be discussing if they should put money in the parking machine or not – they decided not to and then walked along the path past the picnic area, looking around them as they walked – they were not birdwatching! I won't say any more on here for a number of reasons! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment